Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brettay

seed pod of Ohia lehua (Metrosideros polymorpha)

brettay
15 years ago

I have a few seeds from what I thought was Ohia lehua, at least that is what a few Hawaiians told me it was (small tree, hard wood, classic red flowers). The seeds came in a relatively large seed pod, very much like that of a mimosa tree or a Flame tree (Delonix regia), however the internet description of the seeds sound totally different. Any thoughts? Is this truly from Ohia lehua or something else?

Comments (12)

• johndp8888
    15 years ago

The seed pod is about 1/4 to 3/8 inch in diameter with about 100 or more seeds. Each seed is about 1/16 in long and about as thick as a fine needle. You can see seed pods and seeds by going to google.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

'ohi'a lehua does not produce a typical legume family "bean pod" like an Albizia or Delonix. You are looking for Metrosideros. It bears heads of small capsules that release tiny seeds that blow on the wind. The same little base that bears the colorful parts of each flower at bloom time becomes the fruit.

• randg
    15 years ago

I love 'ohi'a lehua flower!

I should have taken picture of what the pods look like, if there were any.

Do you have a picture of the pod, Brettay? I know I can't identify it, but I'm sure someone here will if they see the picture.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

That's something else, with the flowerhead on a leafless stalk in the manner of a Calliandra.

• brettay
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't have a picture, but I am going to Hawaii in about a month and will take one. The weird thing is that the tree looks like ohia lehua and a bunch of Hawaiian guys told me it is ohia lehua, but the seed pods don't sound like anything anyone is describing.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Many species of unrelated plants produce flowerheads that are made noticeable by a tuft of brightly colored stamens. You look at the rest of the plant body to figure out what kind a particular specimen is.

• brettay
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually I was able to find a picture of the tree and flower, but unfortunately the seed pods are not in the picture. Here it is...

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Compare with Calliandra.

• garden_isle_dave
    15 years ago

Hey,

A friend of mine has a large tree growing in the yard. I don't believe it's an Ohia Lehua, but it has similar "red puffs", in the same family maybe. I'll take some profile photos later today or tomorrow and post them, just out of interest. It's pouring rain, or I'd just take them and post now.
    It has some keiki underneath I'm getting ready to relocate and I'd like to have a proper I.D. on it if anyone recognizes it! I'm hardly any good with trees...

Aloha for now,
    ~Dave

Pictures posted soon,

~Dave
    Kauai

• ohiagarden
    15 years ago

Definately not Ohia. There is also a plant here in hawaii called the 'bottlebrush'. Always initially fools me. Ohia seeds are very tiny.. if any one is looking for some, I can collect them, I have several trees.. mostly yellow. The trees, when grown from seeds start out quite slowly. If interested email me at ohiagarden@gmail.com and we can see what we can work out.

• nicolai
    15 years ago

Here, I took this one on the Big Island. You can see the flower and seed pods.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

For pictures of Calliandra...

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Image Search Results