Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nc_crn

C'mon - where is everybody ? (2)

nc_crn
13 years ago

I saw an earlier post that died over 1/2 year ago called "C'mon - where is everybody ?"

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a more active board somewhere. I have nothing against gw.com, but it seems this board is beyond barely active and I'm on a self-education quest.

I'm interviewing for some jobs on Kauai in January and I'm interested in reading some people's vegetable garden experiences, issues, solutions, etc.

My fiance visits the island at least once a year for the past 20+ years and she's well versed on her personal passion of landscape plantings. However, she shrugs her shoulders at vegetable matters except that she knows a lot of people grow chard and there's huge fields of taro.

I know I shouldn't expect to grow cabbage and broccoli, but I'm still getting a feel for what kinds of pests and disease pressure I can expect and when their peak/valley populations persist.

Comments (12)

• ediblelandscape
    13 years ago

I live on Oahu and I've posted several questions. Some people out there are responding. I wish there were more but I don't know of any where else there's a forum like this. You can get advice from UH, or the nurseries, but it is nice to talk to others who garden here in the islands. All I can suggest is post your questions and see what happens.

• nc_crn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. I was just wondering if there was something else out there.

I understand it's a small population area and many parts are pretty rural, but it's been one heck of an adventure finding good information. I have a good horticulture and gardening background, though, so it shouldn't be too hard once I find out what I'm dealing with from other local gardeners.

I have found some stuff, and UH has some good publications on the web.

• lettucegrow
    13 years ago

I live on Oahu and have grown broccoli (during the cooler months), kale, chard, beets, okra, corn, squash, to name a few. I've had problems with leaf miners, aphids, ants; when I have whiteflies, I spray it with EM1 and it seems to solve the problems. I know the Big Island has a very active group of gardeners, but not sure about Kauai.

• caiden
    13 years ago

What vegetables and/or fruit trees you can grow, and what kind of pests you will find all depends on what specific Hawaiian microclimate you live in. So, people can and do grow good cabbage and broccoli at higher elevations; in the moist lowlands, good vegetables are chayote, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, green beans, and etc.

• pueokai
    13 years ago

We are here - but lack of response is always an issue on the site. Its been a little worse lately because everyone is just busy making a living - LOL

• nc_crn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again, everyone.

Along with the info I've picked up here I've managed to learn more about the 2 main climate areas around Kauai, as well as some seasonal things and micro-climates in the upper and lower elevations.

• silversword
    13 years ago

Caiden makes a good point. It all depends where you are. I've grown potatoes, tomatoes, chard, beets, broccoli, peppers, papaya, mac nut, beans, peas, onions, citrus, zucchini, etc...

You name it, pretty much anything goes. But it does depend on how high up the mountain you are and how good your soil is.

What would you like to grow?

• mauirose
    13 years ago

nc check out the Hawaii Homegrown Food Network. There's no discussion board and it's based on the Big Island but you might find it interesting.

There's also a Sustainable Simplicity forum. It is also Big Island based. They seem like a friendly group.

http://sensiblesimplicity.lefora.com/headlines/

Still moving over?

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawaii Homegrown Food Network

• nc_crn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Health issues have put my move and life on hold.

I hope I'll be okay, but I've had to deny all job offers I interviewed with.

Hopefully in 6-8 months I'll be checking out things again.

Kauai was nice for the two weeks I was out there and the people/companies I interviewed with were nice.

Thanks again, everyone.

• mauirose
    13 years ago

Rotten Luck. Hope things work out for you...

• nc_crn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry for the personal followup, but I forgot about this post with the "I hope I'll be okay" part thrown in.

At this point I know I'll be 100% okay barring medical oddity, but I knew I'd be in for 6-8 months of treatment, minimum, no matter what.

I just didn't want to have my last contribution to this thread to have "hope I'll be okay" in it.

Kauai will always be in my vacation plans from now on even if I don't take a job there, though. It was a great couple weeks even with the job interviews strewn through-out.

• bigislegrower
    12 years ago

I just signed up and posted info on a old topic on fruit trees from '09. I was hoping for more recent activity. I grow about every vegetable and fruit I can. Over the years I've learned when to plant by trail and error. For me, I start all cabbage family plant at the end of september- peas and spinach in January. Lettuce every 3 weeks from february on till it gets too hot. Carrots, turnips, rutabagas, beets- november till march. potato, tomato and eggplant and corn from april through september.

Sponsored