Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet potatoes do better in clayish soil?

Posted by scout3801 Hawai'i (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 7, 08 at 5:07

I have noticed that my sweet potatoes growing in soil with a high clay content, and therefore pretty thick and heavy, tend to have much less bug problems than my sweet potatoes growing in lighter, more organic soil. Anybody else see that? The common insect I see with the tubers is the sweet potato weevil, and if the soil has a lot of clay, I'm guessing it's too hard for the weevils to get to the tubers.

Thanks,

-Charles

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet potatoes do better in clayish soil?

Aloha Charles,

Not too familiar with sweet potatos or the weevil itself, but I would say that your guess seems about right =/
As I understand it, the weevils lay their eggs in holes they make in the potato and vine, depending on the time of the year/season. So if you're having problems, a pre-planting insecticide treatment applied to the soil, and once again midway through the season, may do the trick for future crops.

I found a site that you may have already seen, but just in case you haven't, I'll include it here. Hope this helps in some way, just keep doing what works, and let me know what you find! Sometimes all it takes is a little R&D!

Aloha,
Dave
Kauai

Here is a link that might be useful: Cylas formicarius

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here