Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have you seen this bug, Kauai?

Posted by garden_isle_dave 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 2, 08 at 22:48

Have you seen this on Kauai?
I originally found them a little over a year ago in Kilauea, Kauai but have since found them in Moloaa as well.

It's a species of stick insect I identified about 9 months ago as an introduced species, originally from Madagascar. "The Pink-Winged/Madagascan" stick insect (Sipyloidea sipylus). Some of it's host plants include Bramble, Hawthorne, Raspberry, Eucalyptus, Oak (They seem to really like this )and Rose. Any of this growing in your yard and being damaged overnight?
I started breeding (no I didn't release them afterwards!) and taking notes on them, photographs, videos, etc. and contacted the Bishop Museum's Entomology Department. The curator of the insect archives told me congragulations, I had indeed identified a new species for Kauai, and that a similar, or possibly the very same species, had been found by a family on the Big Island. An email or two back and forth, and the subject was dropped with nothing done further. I read an article a long while back about the stick insect, which had apparently been found by someone else and reported, and never really thought about it again.

I just pulled out my old notes, photos, vids, and preserved specimens; and want to check back into it.

Has anyone anywhere else on the island spotted, captured, or taken photos of these? If so please contact me when you get the chance, I'd like to see how many sightings there have been and gather as much information as possible.

Aloha for now and mahalo in advance,
~David

Here is a link that might be useful:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have you seen this bug, Kauai?

Havn't noticed it yet in my kilauea yard.

o

Hey Nicolai,

Please let me know if ya spot one!

Most of the time when I found one, it was at a light just after dusk, but from what I noticed they didn't seem to be as plentiful during the winter months so it might be a while before they start flying about again.
I never found more than one at a time either, and when I did find one, it was never on a host plant. They seemed to be just cruising at the time, either by the lights or just walking across the lawn like haphazardly =/

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 17, 08 at 1:17

>They seemed to be just cruising at the time, either by the lights or just walking across the lawn like haphazardly<

Sounds like Waikiki after the bars have been serving for awhile.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here