Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a few plant I.D.s from Kauai...have no guides...I'm lost!

Posted by garden_isle_dave 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 20, 08 at 23:04

If anyone knows what species, genus, family, etc. any of these plants are(in) please let me know! I've asked around and haven't been able to get a straight answer from anyone, looked in a few different guides and online, and haven't had the time to run them into a nursery. Have had all of them, but would like to finally know what they are! Much mahalo in advance!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Large Variation...?
Photobucket

Smaller Variation...?
Photobucket

Was told this was possibly an uncommon one, not sure, are you? Lol.
Photobucket

Odd looking fellah...
Photobucket

Someone told me this is a Bingabing but I don't think it is...
Photobucket

A hibiscus...but the species or common name?
Photobucket

What species of Ixora?
Photobucket

Photobucket

Onto Heliconia...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Last picture...for now...lol...and my favorite Heliconia...Is this "Golden Torch"?
Photobucket

If you know the name of any of this >please< post it, I have most of this growing and would like to know what to call it for trades and whatnot! Hope, if nothing else, you guys at least enjoy the photographs of everything! And sorry for the (relatively annoying) watermarks, but was necessary for me to post 'em =/ Let me know if you need a better photo or a different point of view for anything!

Aloha for now and hope to hear from ya soon,

~Dave
kAuAi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a few plant I.D.s from Kauai...have no guides...I'm lost

Starting at the top photo as No 1?, 2?, 3 Solandra maxima- or cup of gold, 4?, 5 One of the Brassias, 6?,7?, 8 Hibiscus arnottianus, 9?, 10?, 11 through 15 are all Helliconias. Since these hybredize so readily they are probably hybreds.

o

Much mahalo John, really appreciate it! That knocks a few of em off of my list!
Are you sure 3 is a Cup of Gold? The one in my photo is kind of wilted, and it barely covers my hand, I thought the CoG was much larger...is it in the same family possibly? There's no stamen protruding from the center either, it looks pretty much like a larger form of the flower in photo 4.

Thanks again for your help!

~Dave

o

1. What's growing nearby ; )
2. Thunbergia Erecta
3. Thought it might be COG myself but the throat markings are wrong, i think. I'll say Allamanda Cathartica, probably 'Henderson'. Really more a vine than a shrub but can be pruned into a shrubby mound.
4. Allamanda Shotti-Smaller flowers, shrubbier habit.
5. Agree with John
6. Jatropha i think, euphorbiaceae family
7. Has this flowered? Do you have a picture?
8. Is it fragrant? Looks a little little like H. Arnottianus but the colors seem too vibrant and the leaves don't look right. Where'd you get it? If it came from a big box store in a 6" pot you might want to search the Monrovia or Proven Winners website for an id.
9. & 10. i don't know ixora myself but i'd be suprised if they can be idenified by flower color alone. Maybe someone else can help you out if you know what size the bushes grow to?
11.& 12. Psittacorum Heliconias-sometimes called Parrot Heliconia. The orange one is the common one. Lots of selected color forms, the yellow one could be 'Sassy' or 'Princess Di'. Horribly invasive.
13. Looks like a Stricta, maybe Dwarf Jamaican? Should have a dark red midrib if so. Not too aggressive, at least not in my garden where it gets to less than 2 feet tall and blooms pretty much year round. i've seen it get to 4' tall in some other locations.

o

Your first plant, the fern looks like Cyrtomium caryotideum or Hawaiian bow fern. See page 68 of "Ferns of Hawaii" by Kathu Valier

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here