Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rystar7_gw

Need help on planting large steep hillside in front of house

rystar7
9 years ago

Hello, we built a house last year on a hill and when they cut in for our house, it left a very steep and bare hillside right in front. We're looking for some advice on what we can do to control erosion, look good and not break the bank.

Whatever we plant needs to be something deer aren't interested in. The area is almost full sun but where we live, it rains a lot from November to April.

Here is a picture of what we're working with.

Thanks in advance for your help!

{{gwi:2125971}}

Comments (4)

• gardenshine
    9 years ago

Wow! Big project ... I could go crazy with it myself, but I'm going to assume you want low maintenance. (?) I would plant 1 or 2 rows of trees on the flat "top" portion and then grass it in. You can seed it and put down straw for cover and Water it in, maintain moisture to encourage a deep root system. Less expensive than sod. Put mulch rings around the trees to protect the trunks... makes it easer to mow too. The lower " slope portion I would plant blue rug juniper (nearly indestructible), makes a no fuss "ever" green carpet and is good at erosion control. If you want some color... plant some hardy azalea bushes within a 4' space just inside where the "top" and the "slope" meet (all one color makes the best show). Whatever you do - would love to see a picture when you're done!

• pugetsoundgardener
    9 years ago

I've done a similar slope all in short evergreen azaleas (under 3' full grown). You can find some amazing pictures online of hillsides at Buddhist monasteries in Japan planted entirely in azaleas. Not sure if they'll like the full sun though? You'll definitely want to go with a foundation planting of evergreen shrubs to soak up the water during our rainy season. Deciduous shrubs are a lot less help in the rainy winters. And non-evergreen plants are fairly useless in the rainy season.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

we have rosemary, the kind that trails and junipers. Both are good for erosion control and both are evergreen. between those are several varieties of ice plant, including freeway daisies, and some sage. We have dwarf agapanthas at the top of the hill, and in summer it has beautiful blue flowers.

• zone7patti (7b)
    9 years ago

I'm in an older house with a front slope. Your pix did not come thru, so I can't tell if it's as steep as yours, but I can maintain lawn areas. The one thing I can tell you for sure is that slopes are not "no maintenance" areas until you add retaining walls. My suggestion is that you first make sure that ALL the rainwater coming off your house and from around it does not dump on your front. I have yews for foundation plants, fronted with a row of azaleas. I have two beds where trees are surrounded with beds of ground cover--vinca in one and >invasive< chameleon plant in the other. The beds are ringed with a metal edge that defines the chameleon's range and also tell me where to add soil. Plan to add top soil every couple years. I tried mulch but stopped (it washes away too darn fast). Good luck!

Sponsored