Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vine for two rail fence that I don't want to paint

Posted by tkhooper 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 20, 11 at 11:41

I've got a two rail fence along the street in front of my house. I hate painting fences. I get paint everywhere. And I always get dirt in the paint when I go to do the bottom of the fence posts. So I am trying to decide what vine I want along the fence to cover it up so I don't have to paint. My house is 100 ft down from the fence and I can see it from the livingroom window. The area is full sun and dry. I'm working on a cottage garden styled yard. Is there a vine that you would suggest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vine for two rail fence that I don't want to paint

tkhooper,
If you don't paint the fence, you will be replacing it in a couple years. That will be alot more work, and alot more money.
If you want a cottage style garden, I would paint it white.
Buy the best outdoor paint you can afford. (then you won't have to paint it again anytime soon).
If you still want the vine after painting it white, try a honeysuckle of some sort.
They are also evergreen in the winter in zone 8.
(most of them are) If you do plant a vine, make sure you can see out your driveway pulling out onto the road.
Good Luck!

o
RE: Vine for two rail fence that I don't want to paint

If you haven't already painted the fence then I would use marine varnish. I planted luffa vine this year and kept it watered well It has bright yellow flowers that cover the vine. I will plant them again just for the flowers. Paula

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here