Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Front yard hill and deer

Posted by sujiwan 6 MD (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 18:52

After years of thinking about what I'd like to do with the more gentle slope of my front yard, it occurred to me that I need to do something about deer too.

Before we bought this house 10 years ago, I was told that deer liked to graze and take siestas under the Kwazon cherry tree. We were the only house on 9 acres. Now we are nominally part of a development with our 1/2 acre sloping down to a cul de sac of nice houses below. I'm still finding deer tracks in *my* yard front and back and they're munching on the few plants (roses) I put in the back.

All the deer fencing I've seen looks really utilitarian and seems to be more backyard oriented--not in the village burbs or facing the street where looks matter. It seems like an awfully expensive and difficult proposition to build anything to fence out the darn deer. Is there any type of hedging that could keep them out (and they won't eat to nubbins?).
I'm trying to think of options...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Front yard hill and deer

no no hedge will keep them out ...you need at least a 7 foot fence to stop them

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here