Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rocky Hillside Full Sun

Posted by maryrocks 5 Pennsylvania (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 8, 09 at 19:50

We have a hillside -- 200' by 20' ranging from 45 degrees to 20 degrees in full sun. Our soil seems like one part clay and three parts rocks. We live on a dirt road, and this slope is along the road in front of our house. We planted 200 myrtle plants 3 years ago, with a heavy spread of mulch between the plants. The myrtle are about one foot across now and we have every kind of weed growing on the hillside too despite hours of weeding each week. We regret removing trees too, because of the dust. We'd like to plant something that will grow better than the myrtle, that will help with the dust, and be maintenance free. Will post pictures when the snow melts. Ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rocky Hillside Full Sun

Yikes. Rocky clay is definitely a challenge.

Apple trees and lilac bushes should be okay in clay soil, but maybe a better result would be wildflowers.

Once established a wildflower meadow can be lower maintenance. You will have to water to get established at first. You'll also have to burn or mow at least once a year or you will get weeds again.

If this sounds like something you'd like to try, go to the link and check out their wildflower mix for clay soils. At the very least, you'll get some ideas for perennials for your soil type. They also have information on maintaining the meadow once established.

Best of luck!

Heidi

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Nursery

o

I have gotten seed from a good company in PA. See the link. I have also heard many good things about the company mentioned above.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ernst Seed

o

Thanks for the good suggestions. I'm hoping for some things taller than wildflowers. I'll look into this in the meantime.

o

Forsythia hedge. Cheap to start with cuttings from an established bush(-es). Perennial, and you get yellow flowers in early spring.

o

Some wildflowers can be pretty tall. I agree that forsythia is relatively easy to establish.

o

Yuck! Forsythia!

A well liked, over grown weed!

Be prepared for a lot of runners where you do not want them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here