Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting a hillside vegetable garden

Posted by mchaney1 Maryland (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 7, 09 at 14:09

We are just starting to put in a hillside veggie garden. We are thinking of starting with a 4x10 plat then expanding it yearly. Do you have any suggestions/advice or any pictures of things you have done that work? Also, any ideas for easy things to start in a vegetable garden. We were thinking tomatoes and squash.

Thanks.

Here is our hill....

Photobucket

Above is a sideways look at the hill, the plan is to start the garden about 24 inches from the fence then go out 10 feet and up 4 feet.

Photobucket

Above is a top down view

Photobucket

Above is taken from the bottom of the hill

Thanks again in advance....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting a hillside vegetable garden

For the growing beds I think you will want something terrace-like so you have a level bed that doesn't wash away. You could sink in posts and then put in boards or whatever as sides to keep your bed in place. Veggies are not my specialty but my memory is that squash is easier to start than tomatoes. Corns, beans and squash could be a traditional "three sisters" combination. Most veggies like full sun and fertile soil. Can't go wrong with some compost. I have seen strawberries do o.k. on a hill like yours.

o

You definitely want to terrace. Build up a flat bed, then fill the bed with good quality soil and compost. If your bed is sloped, your topsoil will erode and the water will run off too quickly.

Tomatoes and summer squash are easy, but tomatoes do require more water. Both are sun and heat lovers. That's really not enough space to have a healthy stand of corn -- corn needs company. If you like beans, snap beans are steady and reliable producers in most conditions.

Your best bet is to look up your county extension office and see what varieties they recommend and the planting schedule for your area. The extension office has a wealth of information, and it's free.

o

i'm doing a hillside veggie garden this year. I didn't dig down but raised the beds instead. And as suggested I'm using a tier system. I'm a clutz so each tier is 5 feet wide and 10 feet long. I did this because I wanted 2 feet for growing and 3 feet for me to walk along behind each tier for watering, weeding and so on. I have 5 tiers and 8 tires for my start. The tires are for the tomatoes and peppers because they do love the heat. And the black tires help absorb heat into the soil. The materials I ended up using for my tiers were 6 to 8 inch logs that I got from select cutting my forested land. I select cut for winter heating and use the logs the right size for terracing. I also throw branches here and there as errosion breaks. It's all very natural and country. I love it but it isn't for everyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here