Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hillside Erosion

Posted by empressb MO (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 5, 10 at 19:01

I have a serious problem that my city calls a common enemy...Hillside Erosion. The city says , "Not Our Problem"! I share a common hillside with "close", not very nice, neighbors. When it rains the water is pouring down the hill from under their gate which sits exactly at our common fence line. Huge ruts have developed on their side of the fence which at this point opens up for both of us down the hill. The runnoff is down to the concrete holding the fenceposts on a part of a 6 ft section of fence that belongs only to me, but is happening on their yard. I need an easy, cheap, attractive fix for this 6 ft in their yard. HELP!!!!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hillside Erosion

Pics would help! Their ruts are undermining your fence, don't they have the hillside planted?, Since they don't seem so nice I think I would dig out(when no rain is expected) under or to your side of fence a trench & put in a 6 in. wide by at least a foot deep of cement the whole length of that fence section. To lessen cost perhaps you could put some large rocks maybe broken concrete hunks that you could have standing & even deeper than 1 ft & then fill in center with concrete to stabilize whole thing. It would really have to rain to take that out, I would like to see how deep the ruts are. Seems like there should be some provision of law that doesn't allow that much runoff. Might try putting this over on the landscaping forum as they have some experts over there & they get more people coming to that forum. This 1 doesn't have many posts. If you do nothing you will loose soil & have to replace it on your side, that can get expensive. They are responsible for filling it in on their side of property line. Take pics in case you have to take them to court or just so you don't get blamed for their soil taking off down the hill or drive. They may need to install a drain to the street or something. Are there others with same problem? How are they handling it? If the water is going down a paved or concrete drive it will eventually weaken it. Good Luck!

o
RE: Hillside Erosion

you need retaining wall on the hill, it is avoid a soil solution from erosion, if you can try retaining product like geotextile or geogrid

Here is a link that might be useful: geotextile

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here