Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drainage Easement

Posted by Tectrix North Texas (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 31, 11 at 19:31

My house backs up to a drainage easement (ditch) that I have to maintain. It is approximately 150' x 30' and filled with weeds. It floods back there about 2 or 3 times a year which brings lots of debris from up stream that I have to clean up before I can mow again. There is new construction going on around my area which turns into a rat/mouse issue as well. Also I have an erosion issue with that area. I am needing ideas of what to do with that area. I cant see it unless I open the gate to go back there. I don't want to have to mow it anymore. I was thinking of planting some ground cover but that would just attract rats and snakes to live in. I spoke with the town and they will pretty much let me do what I want accept change the flow of water. The hill faces east, so it gets the morning sun. My sprinklers do not water back there so it gets really dry during the hot Texas summer months.
Bottom line:

1. Erosion issue
2. Rodent issue
3. Flood issue
4. Low to no maintenance
5. As cheap as possible.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drainage Easement

Buffalo Grass? It's a native bunch grass that's drought tolerant and can be left unmowed. Daylilies could work, too.

o
RE: Drainage Easement

Tectrix,
In your situation, and only in your situation, I would plant willows.
Look up on the internet for willow trees that will grow in your zone.
You will get occasional rain, and it will really help with the flooding. BIG TIME. They soak water up like a sponge.
You don't have to maintain them at all.
As for the rodents, you could get a cat, sorry no answer for mice, I am scared to death of mice. Mice and snakes. Ugh!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here