Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will Gro-low sumac taking over ornamental bushes?

Posted by mathteach 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 8, 07 at 12:58

I have a 45 degree sunny slope in the front of my new house. We have planted ornamental grasses, knock-out roses, Russian sage, and spreading junipers. With $4,000 worth of plants, the hill still looks bare and continues to erode. The Gro-low sumac seems like a good plant to fill in the bare spots, but will it over-take the other plants? I like the idea of keeping the bushes for color and visual interest. What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will Gro-low sumac taking over ornamental bushes?

Your hillside needs mulch and compost.
Healthy soil holds together better, absorbs water more readily and will thus decrease your erosion.
I use leaves, picked up from the curb in the fall, I dump those on my hill to keep the rain from impacting the soil and give nutrients to the soil.
Deep rooted plants will help as well, shallow rooted plants help less.
You will eventually divide your grasses and double the amount you have now.
Sumac is a great plant.. Bob64 visits here and I'll bet he will have some suggestions for you as well.
Pictures would help.
I encourage you to check the Winter Sowing Forum.
They will teach you how to grow your own plants for much less.

I have a terrible slope in my yard.. it will take me years to fix it but i continue to have hope.
Have hope!
Cherry

o
RE: Will Gro-low sumac taking over ornamental bushes?

I haven't used gro-low sumac but I have seen it reccommended for hillside erosion control in a few articles. I have some staghorn sumac that so far (about 2 or 3 years) is not very aggressive although I hear it can be. However, my sumac is fighting to survive amidst many invasives. Some of the things you have already planted will expand over time so some of your problem will probably solve itself. If you have a serious erosion problem then you probably want to worry more about the erosion and less about which plants might win the fight for dominance. If your erosion is bad enough then you will have to consider mechanical controls (walls, terraces, etc.) and soft armor methods (erosion control blankets, turf reinforcement mats, etc.). As L.C. says above, some compost and mulch couldn't hurt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here