Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help needed for a steep bank at backyard!

Posted by lizatgar none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 13:16

This is the back of my new construction... It's pretty long, about 100 feet wide, 10 feet tall, and 20 feet deep, so it's quite steep as well. The builder wants to put grass there but I think it will be too dangerous to mow. I'm thinking about planting groundcover like vinca (the slope gets full sun in Summer). I know it takes a long time for groundcover to get established, so shall I mulch the whole area for now? Is weed barrier fabric needed? I heard mulch will be washed away by rain... If I let the builder install sod there and plant vinca later, would it be difficult? Any ideas highly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help needed for a steep bank at backyard!

Do what highway departments to: use crown vetch. It grows great on hillsides and is pretty.

o

No grass. It would be too dangerous to mow. Can you get thebuilder to terrace it? That would be best.

o

They do make biodegradeable anti-erosion mesh for these purposes.

Keep in mind that as long as it is bare like that, it is going to erode.

You could plant some ornamental grass and just not mow it.

Vines are supposedly pretty good for erosion control, and there are many vines that have flowers...trumpet vines, etc. Just be sure not to plant one invasive in your area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here