Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ponderinstuff

Can You Suggest A Garden Plan For This Slope? (Pictures)

ponderinstuff
17 years ago

I live in zone 6 (Huntington, West Virginia) and I'm building a new home. I'd love to hear your design ideas for my sloping back yard. Drainage issues have been resolved since these pics were taken so I'm mainly interested in your plant design ideas.

I already know that I have a lot of clay in my soil. I've sent a sample of the soil off for testing but haven't received the results yet. The area won't get morning sun but looks like it might get quite a bit of sun for the rest of the day.

The pictures shown are the back of the house. There will be a 10 foot deck running the full length of the home once it is complete. My tastes run to informal cottage gardens or things that smell nice or attract hummingbirds and butterflies. I especially love plants in shades of blue and purple. I'm also considering a small pond-less waterfall near the back deck if budget permits.

The only ideas I have so far are to get a couple white dogwoods and some eastern pink redbuds and hydrangea to start. I also have a few large rocks that I could have the contractor arrange on the slope and maybe plant some Phlox around them. Someone suggested a garden path running up the slope with a bench at the top.

One question I have right away is, if I put my Dogwoods at the top of the slope with the Redbuds just a few steps down the slope so as to create a layered look, would the Dogwoods get too much sun?

I have no flair for design so I don't have any idea how to arrange the plants and trees on this slope. Can anyone suggest more plant choices for me and also some kind of design plan so I'll know how to arrange those plants?

Note: I don't care much for hosta or ferns or ivy. I'm not big on red, orange, or white flowering plants either although a little splash of one of those colors might be okay. I much prefer yellows, blues, pinks, or purples.

This last picture (below) shows the natural area at the top of the slope:

Comments (3)

• bob64
    17 years ago

You are a little further south than I am so take that into account when reading my response. I would be tempted to put your trees on top of the slope or where ever they will not block the sun much if you want to plant some showy flowers. Not sure from your post how much sun to expect. Sounds like "partial sun" as they say. You can always try some of the standard north american prairie plants like black eyed susans (yellow), purple coneflowers (purple), etc. Maybe also some phlox divaricata (can take the shade), some spice bush, jewel weed (yellow or orange flower), bee balm (pink/red), virginia blue bells, joe pye weed (kinda purple), butterfly weed (orange), various milkweeds, heuchera (can handle shade), coreopsis (yellow), may apple (look it up, it's a funny looking plant), foam flower (can take some shade), purple prairie clover, native geraniums (pink to purple), and violets. I think there is also a yellow coneflower out there. Since you have a bit of a slope you also want to be thinking about erosion. Maybe thicketing dogwoods like red osier dogwood or silky dogwood. Perhaps the Carolina Allspice shrub. Pussy willow is always attractive. Some native grasses would be nice but only if you don't mind unmowed grass. I like virginia creeper but many people don't like it in their home gardens and it might not treat your flowers too kindly.
    You said you don't want white flowers but you might consider blood root and dutchmen's breaches.

I'm glad you don't want to plant ivy. Ivy is a menace in this continent.
    I see from the picture what you mean about "drainage issues". Let me know how you fixed the drainage issues as I could always use advice in that regard.

• ponderinstuff
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Does anyone know if Mexican (bush) Sage or Catmint would do well even if they aren't in full sun? This slope pictured above will have sun for part of the day then dappled sun, then no sun at all after 5pm.

• pondwelr
    16 years ago

Just me, just wondering....what did you end up doing? Had I seen this at the time of posting, I would have suggested you dig out a flat area for a grassy play place, and then perhaps put in a stone or rock retaining wall with steps up. Its so nice to have a spot to play Bocce Ball or Badminton or Croquet. Any new pictures to show us? Pondy

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022