Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jowall22

Terracing in between my house and a fence?

John Wallace
17 years ago

I have a sloping area in my yard beside my house that is very hard to plant (poor, rocky soil) and I would like to terrace it.

It is probably about a 30-40 foot run that drops about 8 feet. from front to back. The area is probably about 15 feet wide and on one side is the foundation of my house and on the other side is a fence in between my neighbor's and my yards. Currently our yards are level with one another. If I do this, the certain areas of terracing are going to be significantly higher than my neighbor's.

My question is, do I need to put "side walls" on both sides of my terraces?

I worry about soil and water coming in direct contact with my foundation on the one side, and I worry about soil seeping through the fence and into my neighbors yard on the other.

Just writing this, I think it is 100% appropriate to put sides on the fence side. I still worry about putting sides on the foundation side, because it is an old foundation (made with a lot of big clunky stones that stick out to varying degrees) and it will be impossible to get the side walls up flush against the foundation wall. There will be a space in between the side walls of the terraces and the foundation.

Please... any advice on what I should do here?

Comments (3)