Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Retaining walls on terrace?

Posted by anjp 5a/5b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 22:13

I'm trying to learn more about building a vegetable garden into the sloping hill in the back of my yard. My question is whether terraces require a retaining wall.

My wife and I bought a house a few months ago when snow was still on the ground. Turns out that when the snow melted the grass/sod was all dead. I'm in the middle of pulling it all out right now, but we'd like to replace it with a nice vegetable garden instead of new grass.

It's a small yard with a nice upslope at the rear (pic attached). I'd like to build a few levels into this slope to plant on an even surface. My question is whether these terraces require retaining walls... I would think so. My prelim research on this forum brought me to the post below, which recommended a document that built terraces with no retaining wall in place: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/permacult/msg1121450913552.html

Let's say I build retaining walls. What's the best material? Wood/landscaping timber? Stone? Brick? And how high/low should each wall/level be? If anyone could point me in the direction of a good guide I would certainly be appreciative. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Retaining walls on terrace?

• Posted by anjp 5a/5b (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 22:16

This might be a better photo for perspective. Taken from the deck. The levelling would be no higher than a couple feet below the pine tree in the top right.

o
RE: Retaining walls on terrace?

You can build the wall out of whatever you like regarding materials. I personally like stone because its downside is primarily cost, but after that it doesn't attract bugs, rot, or decompose to any noticeable amount. That being said, I think your biggest problem with a vegetable garden there is going to be the amount of shade you have. Most veggies like full sun. If it gets that most of the day you should be fine. I'm going simply by the pics provided. Either way, if you build a wall, it should be something that compliments your house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here