Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with a decomposed granite hillside

Posted by wdsonny CA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 23:07

I have a very large, fairly steep hillside (30-45 degrees) in my backyard that is mostly decomposed granite. It is extremely hard to dig in, the only thing that grows is weeds, and it is in almost full sun. I am trying to find some type of ground cover that does not attract bees, that is pretty low maintenance. It is impossible to get a mower up the hill, and I'm not sure how to even turn the dirt to prep for planting as it is covered in weeds and you can't get an aerator up there due to the slope. Any suggestions on what to plant? Any ideas on how to kill the current weeds? There are also multiple tree stumps, and now some of the bushes are regrowing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with a decomposed granite hillside

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mount Washington (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 2:05

Zone?

o

You could do figs trees. No maintenance, no bees and thick enough foliage to block out light for the weeds. Full sun, marginal decomposed limesound on a steep hill pretty much sounds like a fig's natural habitat.

o

We are in the same boat, but we have hundreds of gophers, and every tree we plant MUST be inside a gopher basket. We have citrus and figs ready to go in, but between the rocks and the gopher slaying, it takes one day to plant one tree.

I never thought that the trees would shade and block the weeds. That is a good point!

I bought myself a sturdy hiking staff for support going down that slippery decomposed granite hillside, and it really helps!

Check out the fig forum. There are many fig varieties that you never heard of that are delicious. They are nothing like what you buy commercially!

Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here