Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Terrace Wall Design Idea; Looking For Feedback

Posted by rosehof z6/NKy (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 28, 11 at 23:28

I have a hillside with 5 terraced beds about 4' x 25' and been growing vegetables there for 8 years. Well, the 2X12 pine boards are finally shot and need to be replaced. They were originally supported by metal stakes. I'd like to slightly change the design and would like your input.

The metal stakes are dangerous and have ragged edges from hammering and I'd like to get rid of them for a permenant post. Have you ever noticed the sound barriers on some highways that have the panels fit into slots on vertical supports? I was thinking of making a mold from 2x stock and create that with concrete, kind of like a vertical I-beam. The wood planks would fit in the slots. When the rotted, they could easily be replaced by sliding in a new one. The post wouldn't stick out as far as an exterior timber post, last forever and I think the look would be pretty cool. Kind of the concrete verion of the connectors that you see on those expesive raised beds in catalogs.

My only concern would be the stength of the lip that would be bearing the weight of the dirt. The walls are about 18" tall.

Any ideas for strengthing the concrete at that stress-point or other comments would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Terrace Wall Design Idea; Looking For Feedback

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mount Washington (My Page) on
    Thu, May 12, 11 at 1:27

Concrete has very little tensile strength which means those little lips will snap right off without steel reinforcement. 18" isn't very high so you could just make concrete posts with some rebar and just lag the wood behind that. I use structural ibeams and lag 4x12 pressure treated in the channels. The steel is set in concrete.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here