Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steep hill, need advice...

Posted by Bud_Bundy Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 11 at 8:08

Hi, my side yard is pretty much just one long, steep hill. By "steep," I mean a 30-45 degree incline, 3-10 feet (or so) in height. It's been a major source of frustration for the 15 years we've lived here and seeing as my son is 20 and probably won't be living here too much longer, I'd love to do something with it so that I don't have to going back to mowing it once he leaves, ha ha. It ends directly at the street for most of the length of it, so I don't have a lot of options as far as terracing or building a retaining wall. My cardinal rule with my garden (with the exception of a couple pots and our tiny flower bed) is that everything has to be edible. I wouldn't mind some sort of ground cover, especially something that would make the hill less attractive to the neighborhood kids. Any suggestions would be heartily appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steep hill, need advice...

I had this mental picture of raspberry or blackberry canes. Trouble is, that would probably attract the local kids, rather than repel them. Same with planting, say, blueberries - though they are three seasons beautiful.

And, if you were to keep them mulched then mowing might be history.

Are nut bushes a possible? Hazelnuts/filberts, perhaps.

Herbs? Monarda. Melissa. Achillea - in several colours.

Groundcover roses - and I'm remembering you said 'edible'. You can make rose petal jam or rosehip syrup.

Cowslips - wine.

o
RE: Steep hill, need advice...

Could you cut into the hill enough to place large plastic pots using a metal rod through the drain hole for added stability. Stagger these and plant all things that vine. Paula

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here