Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_of_simple

Steep front yard hill?

garden-of-simple
9 years ago

We have a very steep front yard hill that I have no idea what to do with!

The picture shows the length well, but not the steepness, the previous owner mowed it with golf spikes, but after my husband slipped mowing it 2 years ago, we've stopped.

My neighbor (who lives on a rustic farm!) has made comment to how it should be mowed :/ sometimes his sheep get loose and graze on it though, haha.

Anyway, my husband is a second year teacher and I stay home for the next few years so our budget is miniscule.

Terracing is out, for now and probably long term too, even though I have dreams about a nicely terraced (lined with rocks, we've got plenty of those!) cottage garden. The truth is that's not something we'd be able to afford for 10 or more years.

But the tall grass and weeds aren't working either! This summer my MIL is helping me landscape along the porch, which will help the overall raggedy-ness, but I need some sort of solution for this hill!

What would you do?

Comments (5)

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

Ughhh that looks like mine. I feel your pain!

I have been weed whacking mine, and darned tired of doing the body wrenching balancing act. Yes I have fallen down mine several times lol....luckily not while weed whacking.

Last year I'd had enough and decided to plant blue rug junipers. Yuck I don't even like them but they spread 6-8 feet! I dream about that damn hill being completely covered!

I ended up planting 31.....spaced about 5' feet apart. What a job....I'm sure you can imagine lol.

Luckily they all survived. I just finished edging and mulching them....ughh!
    I will contine to do so as needed in order to keep anything from growing into them until they are grown out.

In ways I feel like I created a monster, but I know eventually it will have all been worth it.....no more balancing acts lol.

I would have loved to terrace mine out but the funds just aren't there.

I do have creeping phlox in several areas along the top.

Now just trying to figure out something to add to it so it's not just one big ugly juniper blob!!

Sorry I don't really have any suggestions. Just wanted to let you know I can sympathize with you and give you an idea of what I resorted to.

I look forward to hearing other ideas, something perhaps that will work better for you.....

Lilsprout

• User
    9 years ago

garden,
    Buy a goat.
    I'm serious.
    Or ask your neighbor if he knows anyone who will let thier goats eat your grass off the hill.
    It's too dangerous, so why not just take advantage of a goat?
    You can put one on a chain and let him take care of that for you.

• dottiecarrano
    8 years ago

Is there any view from the front porch /front windows you're trying to keep?

Obviously that's a state road in front of you and there's a stormwater gully along the road shoulder.

I take it your driveway outlet is on this road in the photo. How is the visibility to traffic coming if someone is backing out of the driveway?

Important questions before you choose what to plant. Mature height, water needs, density, deciduous or evergreen. I'm thinking maybe a pretty picket fence installed halfway up the slope with rambler roses falling over it and butterfly bushes behind them mixed with some loropetalums with the burgundy leaves for some color and contrast.

That looks like a comfortable porch and you want the view from your side of the fence to be as pretty and fragrant as is looks from the roadside view. Some white lattice to each side of the porch steps maybe two feet wide to hold clematis or jessimine vines and add a vertical element that draws the eye away from the hill and gully grass up to the pretty porch and house.

I'd forego the spreading juniper idea mainly because they don't block weeds and weeding them is a prickly job nobody wants since you'll also be picking roadside litter out of them.

When you have time and are ready to plant the lower area, go with liriope SPICATA which is the spreading kind. Stays under 10 inches and grows so dense you'll never have to set foot in there unless it's with one of those handled pickeruppers to grab the stray litter. It will choke out the grass that's there now and spread into the gully. (I can't believe I've finally found the right spot to recommend SPICATA for but this spot is perfect for that. )

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago

Liriope spicata isn't hardy everywhere, so we would need to know the OP's zone or location. Here's how to add it:

Go to Your Houzz in upper right of every page, click Edit Profile, and on the left side click advanced settings. Well down the advanced settings page is a blank labeled Climate Zone for Garden Forums along with a link to find your zone.

If you add info on your state or the nearest large city you will get even better information since zone only relates to average coldest winter temperatures.

Then return to the top of the page and click Done Editing.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    8 years ago

Retaining wall and overhanging plants.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!