Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Thoughts or suggestions for unsightly cliff/hill - pics

Posted by taraleigh ma (My Page) on
Sat, May 2, 09 at 12:55

We have a crazy cliff behind our house that we don't know what to do with. It looks particularly unsightly now and is hidden a little more with plants once summer comes.

Any suggestions on what could be planted on a slope this steep? Dry sandy soil...

We want to help stop erosion and also hide the unsightly roots of the trees coming up.

Thank you!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: hill/cliff that causes me severe unrest

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Thoughts or suggestions for unsightly cliff/hill - pics

I've tried several times to follow your link, but only see a potted plant. Perhaps re-post?

o
RE: Help! Thoughts or suggestions for unsightly cliff/hill - pics

Go to the public library and borrow some gardening books on Rock gardens..that's the first thing that comes to my mind when I look at your pictures. With rock gardens, I wouldn't think that you'd have a lot of plants to buy. Maybe a few six packs of each chosen plant. You'd need to fill in with added gardening soil and compost I would think. Why not take a copy of the picture you posted to a good nursery or garden center and ask for some suggestions. I would think that you would need to fill in the area with gardening soil and compost. Ortho puts out some great gardening books, go to your local book store and look through them, maybe you'll get some ideas from them. Include both perennials and annuals. You will get instant color from your annuals but they don't come back year after year unless you buy plants that reseed themselves, which is my goal for next year. I don't have a slope/hillside to work with though. Posting here will help you get lots of ideas. The gardeners here are wonderful and you'll learn a lot. Most are very willing to share their knowledge and experience. Ask friends/neighbors and relatives to share some of their plants that you like. There's a good book called Pass-along plants that you might enjoy reading and it will be helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here