Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nathan_smith2572

Hill Problem, thinking of using Chamomile (Roman)

Nathan Smith
15 years ago

Hi,

I have a large slope at the rear of my house. It slopes down away from my property (behind a retaining wall). I want to plant something there that can be accomplish multipe goals. 1: maintain the slope, 2: reduce/elimante routine maintenance, 3: make it a herb garden (possibly)?

I came across Roman Chamomille as a potential solution -- it's used as a lawn in other countries. It's a perennial, it's low growing (6-9"), and it's self seeding. On the downside, it doesn't compete well.. And my hill is made of a clay like soil (I'm in PA).

To my questions:

1. how do I kill off all the vegatation on the hill, without causing an erosion issue?

2. how do I plant the Chamomile (I've only found it in seeds) on the hill? do I need to worry about it sliding to the bottom?

3. It this a feasible solution?

Comments (7)

• bullthistle
    15 years ago

To kill the vegetation use something like Roundup because it will kill the plant but the roots remain unless you get a gully washer. I would germinate the seeds and plant in pots before putting them in the ground then you will be guaranteed of plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

• bcomplx1
    15 years ago

I haven't been impressed with the vigor of Roman Chamomile enough to try it on a slope, so you may want to try a patch first and see how it does. Thyme and mint hold on for me, as do daylilies and all kinds of grasses. Is your slope in sun or shade? Do you plan to mow it or let it be?

I wouldn't kill the existing vegetation until you can replace it with a sure thing quickly. In addition to suggestions you get here, you might pick up some great ideas by looking in other peoples' yards. Garden tours are great for discovering plants that work in difficult sites in your area.

• Nathan Smith
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My slope is in sun. My neighbors are looking at what I am doing to see if they want to follow my *lead*...

Will Chamomile compete with weeds? Do I need to worry about the roots in the ground from the dead vegetation (killed by roundup)?

Thanks again.

• bob64
    15 years ago

Roots killed by Roundup should be no issue as long as you are using original formula of Roundup with Glyophosphate being the only herbicide in it. Other herbicides can be more persistent. You can usually keep seed on a slope with an erosion control blanket. I know nothing about the chamomile plants you are thinking about so I can't help there.

• Nathan Smith
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the reply Bob64,

I will have to post what kinda of success I have with this endeavor....

• soitgoes
    15 years ago

I believe the prevailing opinion is that slopes are best maintained with a mixing of different plants with different sorts of root systems, rather than a monoculture.

We are putting in a mix of native shrubs, native grasses, and a handful of hardy native prairie perennials for color. All that is required is once-a-year cutting back of the grasses and perennials.

A word of caution: here in PA (I live in PA as well) it is difficult to keep groundcovers weed-free.

I don't think there is an easy solution to slope-planting here. However, the end result can be dramatic and rewarding.

• Lena M
    14 years ago

I have Roman Chamomile in my herb garden. it grows great, but the plant is very fragile. I can't see it competing with grass at all.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting