Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaslists2000

Where to Start?

lisaslists2000
9 years ago

Hi,
I don't even know where to start with this hill. I'm in Union County, NC, and soil is hard clay and rain doesn't usually make it past Charlotte and on to us. :-( Oh, and to add insult to injury, it does get sun in the afternoon, the hottest part of the day... I'd like to do something with less common plants, but if you think just vinca (perriwinkle) or something like that, i can do it. I would welcome any suggestions or link to other posts. Thank you!
Lisa

Comments (6)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Hosta! Ferns! Hellebores! Azaleas! How many hours of the hot sun does the area get? If it is only a couple, you are good to go.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Of course, you will need to water, especially the first year.

• lisaslists2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you, but i can hardly dig a hole. i know nothing is going to grow. do i try to till it? and there are tree roots. and it's clay that they make bricks out of. i can think of things to plant in a normal place, but this bakes all afternoon and i would have to water very often. we are often on water restrictions in the summer.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

We have horrid Virginia clay here, so I feel your pain. I would get several small shrubs, so you don't need too large a hole. I always dig after rain-much easier-or my DH goes out and digs for me. He has been known to resort to using a pickax to get started. Some that do well in my dry spots are Abelia, dwarf sweet box, (Sarcococca hookeriana humilis), digitalis pupurea (wild foxglove which isn't a shrub of course, but is so pretty in drifts of 7 or 9 plants), nandina, and hellebores which also will do okay with some sun. I would also go to a local public garden and/or nursery for advice that suits your area. Some hostas can take a fair amount of sun. Check out the Hosta Forum for ideas. Liriope might be good, too. The nandina, liriope, and hellebores will spread, too, after a couple of years. You will need to be patient if you start with smaller plants, but the payoff will be a lovely garden under those trees. Oh, and remember that those trees will grow as well, so you could end up with less sun than you have now!

I am not a fan of those ground covers like vinca. Galium odoratum (Sweet Woodruff) would be a lovely alternative.

Once you plant, you could add a soaker house up on the hill and attach your hose once a week to give the new plants a good soaking once a week when you don't get at least 1-2 inches of rain in a week. I am afraid there is no way around that for the first year. You might be better off to plant in the fall after the really hot summer is mostly past.

Good luck. I am already picturing a lovely hillside there! If you do plant, come back or send a note to me through Garden Web-I am linked on my page for that. I would live to see your progress!

• lisaslists2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cyn427, thank you. that's very helpful. i do have a bunch of soaker hose. you can get ends at box stores or hardware store. or do they require special ends?
    Lisa

• dottiecarrano
    8 years ago

Hi Lisa, I'm from Union Cty also and with your sun facing sloped spot I can tell you to install

iceplant . Plant it about 6 to 8 inches from the top of the slope and by the end of one growing season it will be not only at the bottom but need a bit of trimming off the driveway. Stagger the planting and give it room to spread in all directions.

It's a perennial you can get at Lowes or HD or you can get all different varieties at Kings Greenhouse in Stallings. The standard variety with the 2" wide flowers is the most hardy and drought resistant and the deer totally ignore it.

Kids jump in it to catch the basketball and break off pieces..stick them in a glass of tap water and they will root quickly to be planted elsewhere. This stuff is colorful and delightfully carefree. It is used , I have seen, out on the west coast in sand dunes to hold them in place.

On that coast they offer a variety that is larger but our East Coast version is more dense growing and excellent flowering from late March thru mid November.

Sponsored
District Floor Depot
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Quality Hardwood Flooring Retailer in the Greater DC Area