Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Advice for cleanup on a hillside

Posted by heldp DE (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 14:43

I am a new homeowner in DE and am having great difficulties cleaning up the hillside on the back yard.

The hillside is about a 50 degree angle and is about 5 feet tall. Most of it is covered with Ivy, as there is a large bush running the length of it on the top.

Towards the back, the previous owner had a large tree that was chopped down and burried under the ivy. It took me almost two years to get all of the rotted logs out, and I still find pits and pieces. Because of this, the soil back there is very soft and you can even bounce on it when you step on it.

Also, now that I have removed the logs, there was a bare spot with no vegitation. I placed a tarp over it last year for about 4 weeks to kill anything in there, but now weeds are coming up in there, including poison ivy.

I'd like to find a way for the ivy to take over and keep everything out, but I need to keep everything else out of there until the ivy takes over.

Any sugestions?

JN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Advice for cleanup on a hillside

The ivy I know sends out runners like a strawberry. If you 'pin' it down by resting a rock on the stem, then lightly cover it with some of your soft soil, it will probably send out roots and settle in.

Keeping the area free of weeds may be tricky if you have trees nearby because the birds will deliver seeds for free. And, if you have neighbours with weedy yards, seeds can blow in from nearby. Be prepared to do some hand weeding for a while until the runners you're encouraging get going.

I don't think I'd use any form of chemical control. The pitch on your slope indicates that there could be runoff and it just might have 'downslope' consequences.

Keep your runners damp as they settle in and they will probably reward you rapidly. Particularly if you were to give them some liquid compost tea every three to four weeks over the growing season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here