Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiering an existing rock wall

Posted by schabadoo nj (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 07 at 17:30

I have a three-foot high rock wall in front of my yard, now barren after I hacked out the old overgrown yews that were there. Some pics:

I'm debating adding a second rock wall about six feet behind the current one, a couple feet in front of the azaleas. It seems like it would give me a nice planting area in front while adding support.

Does this seem feasible?

The attached link I'm using as inspiration, more in concept than anything else.

Here is a link that might be useful: beautiful rock wall

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiering an existing rock wall

It's feasible but it's a lot of work. Make sure to batter back the wall and not build it too high, etc. The rock walls in your link look like they were put in by professional masons and also might have something more substantial hiding underneath the natural dry stacked stone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here