Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nami_gw

what to plant here

nami
16 years ago

hello all, i have a backyard that gently slopes upward when viewed from our back patio. the house u see in the picture is the back neighbor's.

i want to plant a few roses and other perennials to breakup the expanse of sod and to bring some color to the yard.

irrigation will not be a problem, and i wont plant so high that i cant reach my plants to fertilize etc.

the width of my pie shaped lot at the point i want to plan the rose/perennial garden is about 55 feet.

i am really lost on how to plan these beds, what shape shud they be etc.

please help me create a garden plan.

thanks,

nami

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (6)

• vetivert8
    16 years ago

You might want to think from the top down on this one. What do you want your neighbours to see when they're out on those chairs - and not see.

And, when it rains, what do you have in mind to prevent the formation of a quagmire at the foot of the slope? Or do you plan to put in a garden to take full advantage of this ephemeral wetland? (I would. Things such as Louisiana iris and assorted bog beauties - even edibles such as blueberries, if your soil is suitable.)

As you have roses in mind you might want to think about using the 'Flower Carpet' varieties which don't need 'proper pruning' particularly for covering wide areas. They have the added advantage of being not tall and cope well with summer dry.

If you have particular shrubs in mind for adding height and texture and seasonal interest then planting those first to 'put in the bones' of the garden is useful because they can be getting established and they don't need nearly as much weeding as formal beds!

To turn the turf into beds - I'd go for patch gardening and using annuals which will need weeding, mulching and feeding over their season - great for getting the bed ready for perennials the following year.

If you think about the texture and coloration of the shrubs you can also use them to encourage the eye to wander from one combination to another. For example - purple Cotinus and a delicate pink Clematis and soft cream roses, moving on to different tones of the same colours and changes in plant foliage, perhaps a smaller mound, or a feathery grass form.

• bob64
    16 years ago

I just returned from a trip to Central Florida and was impressed with a lot of the native vegetation. Something to think about.

• rosiew
    16 years ago

Nami, add'l pics would help, and info about the yard behind your slope. Perhaps you could place pots at the corners to give us a better visual.

I had similar situation here. First killed all the grass, starting amending smallish areas. Sorry, no pictures - maybe soon. I have planted ornamental grasses, low growing gardenias, lime mound spirea, a gorgeous hypericum prolificum, one Knockout rose, lots of verbena and salvia varieties, plus tons of cosmos, zinnias, cleome, lantana, sweet potato vine, etc. There's no plan to it. Just bought a nanho blue buddleia to plop in somewhere. Think you can have a lot of fun with this and have something lovely to see from the house.

BTW, I didn't terrace, just planted on the slope. Have it mulched with cypress.

Have fun!
    Rosie in Sugar Hill, GA

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

Started with this

Got a chainsaw...a ton of landscape fabric...a shovel...

Then did this

(note exposed plastic...gonna need more straw)

This is how she looked this spring:

Sorry I didnt mean to hijack your post but these are simple changes that make the most of my view. Each day I go outside and see this slope and think.....'what neighbors?'

Ronda

• jeanner
    16 years ago

Very pretty Ronda! I also have a pond and waterfall on one of my hills, it's nice to be able to have a waterfall without the hassle of building a hill to put it on! I'm planning on adding two more small ponds (designed more for the birds than my current pond). I like what you've done, it definitely adds more interest to your hill than just plain junipers.

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

Here is the latest update:

"My Hillside Wall"

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County