Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ides for a problem hill/slope!

Posted by dmid (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 10, 09 at 11:10

Hi everyone, I don't normally post over on this forum, but I am hoping you can help me!

My in-laws have a backyard that comes out from the house away, then has a sharp hill up to an area that is elevated ( not their property) that then continues to slope slightly upward to some homes. The problem is the relatively small, but steep hill in their yard. It is currently grass, but my father in law is finding that he can't mow it very well any more. As there is no family close enough to take care of it on a regular basis, we are looking for other options.

I have attached a picture that looks into their neighbors yard - you can kind of get an idea of the general situation, but the hill is much much steeper as it goes into my in-laws yard, especially on the other end. We are thinking it is too steep to just mulch and fill with plants, so we may need to terrace it. They are definitely on a limited budget - we can help them some, and would be willing to do the work, but the rest of the family probably will not. Any thoughts, suggestions, picture examples, etc. would be deeply appreciated.

I don't believe that they have the budget for the landscaping blocks, so I had thought possibly about railroad ties?

Thanks!!

Here is a link that might be useful: hill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ides for a problem hill/slope!

Terracing (sp.?) is hard work. We have a very steep hill in our back yard which is still a work in progress. I have just planted there without creating terraces. I have a several trees (Nellie Stevens hollies and dogwoods), azaleas, mountain laurel, and plenty of weeds at this point. I plan to clean it out and fill in with smaller things like hostas, but I definitely want things that don't require a lot of upkeep since the hill is difficult to navigate, especially as I get older! Nonetheless, if you are willing to put in the hours, terraces would be really nice. Railroad ties should work and would look nice with plants tumbling over them. In fact, once you finish there, feel free to head here!!! :)

o

The only good thing about this hill is that while steep, it is very short/small?? Not sure how to properly describe it. My father in law is 85, and he still mows his own grass, but this hill is causing him problems. I am thinking that if me, my husband and my brother in law work at it for a good weekend, we may be able to do something. I actually found a picture somewhere that may work - not railroad ties, it was more just treated lumber built up. I am not sure how to post it here. I will post pics if we end up doing something!

o

I just had a thought-you may want to stay away from treated lumber. It seems I have read a lot of negatives about the preservatives and it might not be good to have around. My memory is like a sieve nowadays-sorry I can't be more specific! Some of the new fake stone or paver blocks look pretty good. Not sure how expensive they are. Good luck and do post pictures if you tackle the job. Cynthia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here