Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Safety while gardening on steep hill

Posted by melody-s USDA 7, Sunset 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 12:14

There are some parts of my property that are so steep that I worry about falling and injuring myself. Since I live alone this could be a huge problem.

Does anyone have recommendations about the best way to ensure safety while working in these areas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Safety while gardening on steep hill

Always wear sturdy lace-up shoes without smooth bottoms.

I garden on a slope which, while steep, isn't steep enough for me to be concerned. Pictures of yours would help you get more concise advice.

I 'solo' garden also, so understand your concern.

Rosie

o

Good shoes, a walking stick and a CELL PHONE!

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 20:22

When we plant seriously steep slopes, like 100% and greater, we run a static line across the top. We then use harnesses and a safety line and clip that safety line into the static line at the top of the slope. Basically it's like rock climbing on a hill without rocks. Well sometimes there are rocks.

o

I have broken my leg and had to lay there till hubby came home!arg! AND another time I broke my tailbone, so now I am told by hubby: TAKE YOUR CELL PHONE!!!! I pack it in a apron if I don't have another pocket...I like wearing sweat pants and tshirt, so those barmaid aprons I scoop up at the thrift store are great! I am slowly getting some gravel down on the paths I am building, I even have it so I can get a wheelbarrow down there now! As long as I use small loads that don't get away on me!!! ARG! Ya, forgot about those trips with runaway landscaping blocks...NEVER walk in front of a heavy load!!! ha!

o

We just purchased property with 1.4 acres of very rocky sloped hillside that includes a seasonal stream at the bottom, and part of the next hill up!

A cell phone is mandatory, and crossing the slope instead of a direct decent is important. A big walking stick is on my list.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here