Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to keep rock from sliding downhill on plastic weed barrier

Posted by gary_mn (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 14:16

I'm looking for simple, attractive, ideas on this.

We have sloping gardens around the foundation. To keep water away and provide a nice garden area, we are using black plastic as a water and weed barrier, covered with 3/4" brick chips.

Rain sometimes washes the rock downhill, leaving voids and moving rocks into the bare dirt areas around the plant bases.

I am not interested in terracing or groundcover. I want to keep the water runoff maximized and keep a uniform rock apppearance between the plants.

I have seen some weed barrier products with raised and barbed surfaces, but really don't want to try any of those products.

All ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to keep rock from sliding downhill on plastic weed barrie

Gary, perhaps a bit more of the rock should be added. Then use a narrow yard rake to get it back in place. Repeat as necessary.

o

Gary,
why are you doing this?
Just curious.
You like the look? You want stones there?
Water runs downhill, you do know that?
If you don't have plastic there, it will still run downhill.
That is why there is a slope by your foundation.
Just an idea, if you really love the look of rock there,
why don't you get bigger rocks?
Really pretty big rocks.
Get rid of the plastic.

o

How about a little chicken wire on top of the plastic? That might add the teeth you need to hold those rocks in place.

Suzi

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 20:27

You need to add rock to a depth of at least 6 inches.

o

Anytime you put rock on a slope, you need to start at the bottom & keep stacking until it stops sliding.Install from the bottom up, add more, push it to the bottom, repeat.Eventually it stacks up on its self & settles.You do need to add more rock there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here