Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sloped backyard but with retaining wall

Posted by rtsc2006 AL (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 08 at 19:24

We just bought a house on the AL/GA border. We love our house but the backyard needs some help and we are both novice gardeners/land caretakers. When coming out of the back of the house there is about 10 feet and then a three to four foot retaining wall. Behind the wall is a three foot wide trench that we are hoping to get the builder to back with a silk fabric, lay in a perforated drainage pipe and then fill to almost the top of the retaining wall with gravel. After the trench starts the slope.

The slope is about 16 feet deep and 110 feet wide. Erosion is a slight issue during strong rain which we do get here occasionally and it is in full sun all day. We really need to keep the cost down and it has to be pretty low maintenance so we were trying to formulate some ideas and hoped that some of you might be able to help us.

Our thought was to weed eat it, put some weed blocker down, and then do some landscaping. The idea that we had was to plant three shrubs in each upper corner and then create four to five 8 foot long by 6 foot deep planters in the middle. Those we would probably terrace a bit so that they are more level than the rest of the slope. (They would be created out of landscape timbers and rebar stakes and then filled partially with gravel and topped with top soil) In the planters is where we would do herbs, flowers, etc. The planter will probably be staggered a bit for some more visual interest and all area around the planters to fill the rest of the space would be mulch. Maybe at a later time we could add more shrubs or plants but like I said, there is only so much we can afford to do. Oh, and to deal with the erosion issue, as the property above and behind us drains down on our yard, we were told that a "check" should be installed using medium sized boulders in an 18-24 inch deep row along the upper back fence (we worry that this too might be expensive and quite back breaking to put in).

Sorry this is so long but we are so frustrated and any advice and/or tips would be helpful. Please tell me what you all think of this and if it's something that would look nice and be done relatively inexpensively. Also, any plant suggestions and alternatives to the boulder check would be appreciated. Thank you all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sloped backyard but with retaining wall

Where will the perforated pipe discharge or will it? Also, what is the angle of the slope? I'm not a big fan of the weed blocking fabric but it can be useful here and there. Weeds will get into it though and then be harder to get out. You don't want trees and shrubs right next to your trench since their roots can invade over time. Appropriate grass seed covered by an erosion control blanket might be one option. Terracing the slope is another option. Deep rooting plants is yet another option.

o

I believe the idea was that the water would flow through the pipe behind all of our neighbors until it reached the edge of the subdivision and would discharge into a field. I don't know the exact angle but it seems like a 35-40 degree angle to me. How do you keep weeds out if you don't use the fabric?

o

The drainage pipe and the crushed stone around it should get wrapped in fabric to keep fines out. In the rest of the area you can lay newspaper and cover it with mulch to smother weed seeds that are already there. New weeds will invade the mulch(but that would happen with the fabric as well) but they won't be as hard to pull out if they are not rooted into fabric. Or, go with the fabric but live with this annoyance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here