Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steep clay Slope with Honeysuckle!!

Posted by spatial 6 West Virginia (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 08 at 21:38

Looking for some suggestions on how to deal with a very steep slope 15-25' tall, with primarily clay soil. There is alot of pesky Japanese Honeysuckle growing on it. We have planted 4 trees (fruit and such). The slope is on a North facing slope so in winter gets little to no light and in summer it gets a good bit of sun.

We would love to just landscape it with wonderful plants for beauty, but how would we get completely rid of the honeysuckle?

If we went for a groundcover like blue rug juniper or other (instead of the nice landscaping), will it smother out the honeysuckle? Or any suggestion on a plant(s) that would smother it out would be wonderful!

Help! Help!

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steep clay Slope with Honeysuckle!!

Nothing will smother the honeysuckle. About the only thing that seems to work on japanese honeysuckle is herbicide. You will probably need some follow up treatments here and there.

o
RE: Steep clay Slope with Honeysuckle!!

If you planted fruit trees, that means you're able to climb up and down the slope? My local gardening center recommended honeysuckle because the roots run deep and holds the soil together. Which may be why you have honeysuckle growing there?

But my slope is very steep. It's also about 25' tall but at a 45 degree angle. It's not easy getting up and down our slope. So I planted honeysuckle and more juniper in the bare spots because I don't want to be trimming, deadheading, or picking fruit there. But I do want something to hold the soil together.

Whats wrong with honeysuckle? It smells wonderful! But I like privets too, so what do I know?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here