Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Backyard that is a Hill.

Posted by ivymlp MI Zone 5 or (41) (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 08 at 7:12

I just bought this house and my Backyard is a sideways hill. It slopes from West(top) to East (bottom). The dirt is mostly sand and course sand and somewhere under that hill (so they tell me) is my septic system and drain field.

Does anyone have any suggestions for landscaping it? I want to make my yard as productive as possible, vegetables, fruits, herbs etc. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Backyard that is a Hill.

The hill does not look so steep so I am guessing that erosion is not a big threat. I think the bigger concern is the septic system. I am not so familiar with septic systems since we have sewer service here but a few ideas come to mind. First, it would be important for you to locate exactly where it is and what exact area is dedicated to septic. Second, some types of plants are not good for the drain field (I think trees are ruled out for instance). Third, at least some sources reccommend against planting edible crops over the septic area but I'm not sure if the issue is just that they don't think you should be digging around there and possibly getting infected by something or if uptake into the plants is a concern. If a food garden is a no go, a flower garden would look great in that area. With all of the sand I think you will want plants that can handle things a little bit dry. You might want to run your question by the soil forum. I think this might have come up over there before and there are some knowledgable people that frequent that forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Plants for septic system areas

o
RE: Small Backyard that is a Hill.

I think its best to plant vegetable in your backyard hill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here