Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting rid of weeds on slope

Posted by oops_ikilledit 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 07 at 7:54

Our hill has been taken over on one side with weeds from our neighbor's yard. My husband tried to take care of it and wound-up with poison ivy.

Is there some type of natural herbicide I can use? I don't want to use round-up. What will work on the grass too?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting rid of weeds on slope

I'm sorry that I can't tell you a natural way to clear this. Will say that the right long sleeved shirt, latex gloves and long pants can offer protection from the poison ivy. Follow up with removing the clothes carefully and showering. And thoroughly wash the clothes before rewearing.

When I deal with poison ivy I use Roundup and then with protective clothes on, ID/pull and bag the dead poison ivy.

Hate that stuff!

HTH,
Rosie

o
RE: Getting rid of weeds on slope

If you want to kill everything and you are not in a hurry, you can weed whack the hill and cover with black plastic and let it cook in the sun. If it's shaded it will take considerably longer. Unfortunately that probably won't kill the poison ivy, it will just creep under the plastic and emerge on the other side. The only way I have found to get rid of poison ivy is roundup. I do "bag" it first (use long gloves as Rosie suggests) and then spray the round-up in the bag and tie it up and leave it for a week. Generally I let poison ivy go unless it's in the garden, the birds really like the berries!

Just a word of caution though, killing all the vegetation on the hill could make the hill erode so don't do anything until you are ready to replant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here