Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Annual Rye Grass on a slope..

Posted by lovelycherry Z7 Long Island (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 07 at 8:15

I will be pulling some annual plants from my slope and was thinking of seeding the area with annual rye grass to keep the erosion down. I
Any thoughts? it is Annual King Rye Grass 10 lbs for $20.00 with free shipping seems like a good deal.
Thanks, cherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Annual Rye Grass on a slope..

It's better than nothing. Don't let it go to seed unless you want more of the grass next year. If you are not worried about the existing annual plants that you are planning to pull out making seed you could just leave them be. Even when dead their roots will help a little bit with the erosion.

o
RE: Annual Rye Grass on a slope..

Are you planning to mow it? If you're not going to mow it and you want a more natural look, then I think some of the native grasses are more attractive when left unmown. If you don't want to mow and you want a more cultured look , I would suggest some of the no-mow fescues. Otherwise, I think the rye would work. No matter which way you go, make sure you cover the seed with something to help keep it from washing down the hill. Straw might work, I used burlap and cheesecloth since I had some on hand. I raised it up a few inches so it wouldn't pull the seedlings out when I removed it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here