Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sydseeds

Need lots of help with slope abutting sidewalk (photos)

sydseeds
17 years ago

I've got a slope on the outer side of our fence that is just impossible to deal with. It's about 40 feet wide; 3 feet deep; with a 45 degree pitch.(The photo's below don't do justice to the degree of pitch)

Because it abutts a sidewalk, I don't want to install a retaining wall to abutt the sidewalk (the rest of the neighbours have installed retaining walls and this has resulted in their plants being mulched by little feet that lose their balance as every kid uses the retaining walls as a balance beam to walk on/skateboard on/bike on - I guess if I was a kid, I'd be doing the exact same thing as the slope pitch is pretty deep making the retaining wall nice and high up from the sidewalk.

I've put in some anchor plants to help reduce soil erosion; but really would love some suggestions on what I can do to spruce up this 'never ending sloping section'.

Here it is......

And it keeps going....

And going.....

And going.....

Help!! I don't want to put grass in this area as it is too hard to mow - would love to mulch it but fear that the mulch would simply run down the slope onto the sidewalk...

This area of my yard is becoming my arch enemy - I'd love to see photo's of how others have incorporated large rocks, plants and ground mulch to gain some inspiration on what I can do to make this look like a presentable portion of my yard.

Thanks!

Comments (6)