Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeremynearphilly

Need impressive front yard.

jeremynearphilly
16 years ago

I'm trying to plan an impressive front yard for a 6,000SF, $2.5 million home we'll be constructing in an older suburb, outside of Philadelphia.

Its a sloped lot with a stream. And there are too many complications to try to explain it all with words alone. At www.darlingwolf.com/morris.html there are sketches of the planned building, photos of the lot, a topographic map of the site, etc. And I apologize that the following won't make much sense without the visuals.

We will not be permitted to disturb most of the steep slope directly in front of the house -- so no terracing.

Also, we need to keep every tree with a diameter over 6" at breast height, unless that tree is really in the way of our construction plan.

Making a house look like it fits on this lot will require a lot of creative landscaping. And I think we're getting a handle on most of the challenges. But I don't have a good idea for this front, apron area.

We'll be going for a naturalistic, local plants flavor around the stream. But the building itself will be rather formal. So, it seems like the area that people will see in the foreground should also have a formal look. So, I guess a rock garden is out. And I gather that grass is out of the question on this steep slope with a 15' elevation change. I could see some ivy or Vinca there. But I'm thinking that using those groundcovers alone would be underwhelming. So, a sea of ivy with islands of shrubs, perrenials, and small trees with mulch or gravel? Will it look like its all about to come tumbling down the hillside?

The house will have the look of limestone blocks.

Thanks for your comments.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH