Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best mulch for a hill?

Posted by dainaadele Z4a-5b Nebraska (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 17, 06 at 10:35

Does anyone have a "best" mulch? One that does not wash down as easy? I just started to use the long pine needles from under our tree. Not too bad. I was not able to put it on very thick as we only have one tree and no one around here sells it. (They looked at me like they had never heard of it and I remember seeing it on the east coast all over.) While I think some of it has been displaced during rainstorms, it gets caught on some vegetation and then stops. I am guessing this from some areas that opened up through the summer, but it is not pilling up at the bottom of the hill. In theory, if put on thick enough, it would stay.

Anyone else find something that works? I am stuck mulching the areas for a few years until everything grows in.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best mulch for a hill?

I just use the shredded hardwood mulch. I've not had problems with it washing down. I do mulch heavily, just so I don't have to do it every year. I also use leaf compost, I think it does a better job of soaking up the water but it doesn't last as long.

I have used water breaks until the plants get established. I had some edging used for brick pavers, it's basically an upside down T shape where the top part of the T gets secured to the ground. It is flexible and will bend around the plants. It sticks up about an 1 1/2 inches which I covered with mulch, it still showed a little but not real obvious.. That did help slow down the runoff.

I used the pine needle mulch once, I loved the look and it doesn't seem to compact as bad as the shredded mulch. But it was expensive so I only did a small area.

o

Now why did I never think of the prefab edging!!! Thanks! My hill is a constant work in progress, I get a little more done each year. That way I can maintain each new section as I clear it. The area was severley neglected for several years and there are alot of Hackberry trees that keep trying to grow. I am slowly digging out each of them and then shifting dirt into a hill form by hand. Hey, it's cheeper than a YMCA membership!

o

A plastic sheet type mulch won't wash away, but it doesn't look good unless you have veggies popping out from benieth it.

o

the shredded has worked best here, also. this was our first year using it on that steep of a hill, and i think we'll keep using it.

o

I am very happy with my pine needle mulch on my slope. I am lucky to have a row of long needle pines along the [property line. I also planted daylilies and vinca on the hill and spreading juniper and creeping phlox at the bottom next to the driveway. This keeps the mulch and soil from washng down.

o

I was going to say, pine straw as we call it in GA, is pretty good on hills. It's not perfect though. I can't figure out why it's only sold in GA, SC and NC. Especially since it's havested in Florida but they don't even sell it there!
It's also remarkably good in wind. You'd think it would blow away but not so.

o

I used a North American Green erosion control blanket (it is an actual blanket made out of various natural fibers, etc. and biodegrades over time) over grass seed which grew up through the blanket. There are many other brands but that happens to be the one that I used. The edges of the blanket are buried and the blanket is also held in place with "U" shaped staples. Keep people off of the blanket until it has done its job. If you can find a local distributor you can save a lot on shipping. Also, do searches on "erosion control" as that industry does a lot with steep slopes. I read "Erosion Control" magazine online sometimes for ideas. There are other things you can do also like "hydro mulch", etc. but I have no personal experience with that and it probably requires a contractor with the right machinery to apply.

o

Mulching is new to me, 'cause we bought our first house 2 months ago. How long does it take for pine straw mulch to break down? How thick do you put it down on a hill, and do you use a weed block underneath?

o

• Posted by batya Israel north (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 28, 06 at 14:05

All I have access to, and all I can afford, is the leaf mulch that falls from the who-knows-what-kind-they-are trees on the 45 degree slope of nearly open rock in my "yard", which is really the side of a mountain. Underneath is lovely but very rocky forest duff, which is what I want to keep from eroding until I can plant it in terraces like the rest of the slope. As the winter rains are just beginning here, I have cleared all the leaves to the side, uncovered the contours of the rock as well as I can, and will now recover the soil for the winter, to leave the pockets of soil there and let the rain wash clean the rest. In spring, I hope to have little areas of good soil, to plant with whatever local rock slope-loving plants I can scrounge. The leaves are great, they don't blow away, they rot into living yummy stuff, and they're free. Now if I could just find the plants I read about........

o

There is a new product to help keep mulch in place on hillsides. Go to www.mulchmagnet.com for more details.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here