Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garetanne_gw

Small hill help

garetanne
16 years ago

Our whole neighborhood is on a "hill", so everything slopes. Last year we spent the $ to put create a walled garden in our back yard:

{{gwi:44892}}

We've been trying for two years to get the contractor back to do something similar in the front yard, but I'm tired of waiting on him, and thinking maybe we could plant on the slope. Originally we were going to have him pull out all of the evergreens, but then we trimmed them and thought, why not keep them for the privacy they afford? I'm wondering if I could get away with planting some sort of bushes in front of them to hide the uglies, burning bush or maybe large grasses... and then put perennials in front of that. This is what I'm working with in the front:

{{gwi:44891}}

I think maybe I'm hesitant to start anything because it's in the front... but SOMETHING needs to be done.

Any great ideas??

Comments (5)

• bob64
    16 years ago

From the pic's it does not look like the area is so steep that it needs to be retained by another wall although it might be convenient. I would not plant burning bush since it is an exotic invasive plant and is so common in the 'burbs as to be boring. What are the light conditions? It looks like partial shade under the evergreens. If so, there are some nice shade tolerant plants like bloodroot, ferns, bluebells, etc. Christmas fern is just about evergreen so that might work to block some of the concrete of the wall and give you something to look at when the summer is over. Some hollies and spice bush might work also. Some wood chip or pine needle mulch under the evergreens will also dress up that area a bit at little expense.

• jeanner
    16 years ago

First of all, I love your walled garden! Very nicely done!

From the pictures of the front I would have to agree with Bob that it doesn't have to be terraced, especially if you amend the soil with compost to help retain moisture. I'll be honest, I think I would replace the evergreens - just personal taste but I'm not a big fan of pines that have been trimmed up. And I think you are going to have a hard time underplanting them, they tend to soak up all the moisture and the needles can create a hostile environment for many plants. Were the evergreens not doing well there? I think clusters of pine trees (assuming the conditions are good for pines) and groupings of deciduous bushes would be my choice - I'd probably go with some of the viburnums that have nice fall color. And some of them can get rather tall. You could plant some perennials in with the bushes for summer color. I would try to vary the height and width of the plantings, the row of pine trees there now seem to accent the tall cement wall. An espalier might be a fun accent too. I'm not sure what the budget is but dressing up the wall might be another choice rather than trying to cover it up. Maybe a cement treatment or a rock veneer.

Anyway, not sure how much that helped!

• garetanne
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Every little bit helps.

Budget. Sigh, it always comes down to that huh? Time and $.

Our original plan was to rip out the evergreens, put in another wall and go plant crazy. It's the expensive way out, but so much easier to start with a clean slate.

After two years of waiting, we started thinking, why spend so much money on a new "screen" of trees when we've already got good coverage there, maybe we could live with them.

I cross posted in the design forum and ideas for treating the wall came up there. I might have to go in that direction.

Last night I took my bulb planter and discovered that, as I suspected, the ground under those trees is dry, rooty and almost impossible to dig in.

We're thinking we might go with Bob's idea and just edge it, layer up some paper/dirt/compost/mulch to kill the grass and hope that by next year we'll be able to plant SOMETHING.

Maybe by then

• lovelycherry
    16 years ago

Please do not plant burning bush it is an invasive. Cherry

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

Why not plant a pond with a waterfall? ;o)

Got rock?

. .
    . .

Ronda

Sponsored