Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blending Hillside Garden Into Lawn Area

Posted by havingfun2 Zone 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 07 at 13:46

I am an amateur building a terraced hillside with dry rock walls. The bottom of the hillside is lawn and I'm having a problem trying to figure out how to blend the rock wall look into the lawn area.

I don't really want to finish the area off with just a rock wall at the bottom since this will create an area that needs to be weed wacked.

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blending Hillside Garden Into Lawn Area

I'm attempting the same thing, although for a variety of reasons, it's slow going for me. Would love to see pics of your work.

I lined my trenches with landscape fabric and left about 4" in the front - I was going to tack it down and cover with mulch. Not sure how long it will last but it should be good for a few years.

Or you could plant low growing plants in front of it.

o

Pics would be a huge help. My initial thought is no stone at the bottom of the slope. Just spade edge it and let it merge with the lawn.

Rosie

o

I don't presently have a place to upload pictures. After I do, I'll repost.

Thanks for the suggestions!

o

A foot or two of mulch between the bottom wall and the lawn might be a less abrupt change and help with the weeds. I like to put down newspaper and then mulch for weed suppression. The lawn will try to creep into the mulch area once in a while so some maintenance would be required.

o

Do the dry stack...but make the bottom stone level with the soil and let it extend out 5" past where you want the front of the wall. This makes a place you can run your lawn mower wheel and keeps the grass from encroaching up to the wall.

You can see in my wall how all my stones are about the same size. If you look...I could have taken the bottom stone out further to hold the grass back.

HTH

Ronda

Here is a link that might be useful: my wall

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here