Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with large and steep hills- dealing with erosion

Posted by ewigerginkgo 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 27, 08 at 19:13

Hello!

Im a student at Ohio Wesleyan University hoping to get some tips on dealing with erosion! OWU is taking efforts to go green as part of our National Colloquium, a program that invites in speakers and shows films revolving around a theme. This year theyve also added on the requirement of having student-led groups that are following their own "green" ambitions. Im leading a group thats focusing on the plant life and improving OWUs plant care, but I wanted to piggy-back in fixing a few of the larger erosion problems on campus since the plants can assist in that. I have two areas that I want to look into repairing, but I wanted to get some tips/ideas from people who have a better idea on how to do this sort of thing! I have no idea what sort of cost restraint Im going to be under, so Im leaning towards trying to keep costs down, if only initially.

The first area I want to fix is along the main campus walkway, which goes down a large hill, and has deep ruts in it from rain. It currently has stone and some plants in it, but the washing-out is still occurring.

The other area is behind an academic area on a steep hill where grass is refusing to grow because of the shade trees. The trees all have a large amount of root exposure.

Any help/tips/ideas would be highly appreciated!!

Area 1:

Area 2:

Thank you in advance!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with large and steep hills- dealing with erosion

I'm not sure what kind of tree that is. With some trees, having the roots that way is normal and healthy. Some trees suffer if their surface roots are buried so research that before laying on a lot of soil. The water coming off of the pavement has a lot of velocity. Porous pavement is very green but expensive. Conceptually, look up things like french drains and water bars. You can also surf Erosion Control magazine for free on the web. Also check websites for Ohio's department of transportation and department of environmental protection (or whatever the equivalent departments are in Ohio).

Here is a link that might be useful: Erosion Control magazine

o
RE: Help with large and steep hills- dealing with erosion

Thank you so much for the help!!

o
What is 33c and what will grow in it?

When we built our cabin a few years ago, my husband had some 33c brought in and dumped in our hillside to prevent erosion. I've completed most of my other beds and am ready to tackle that hillside now. But...I have no idea if anything will grow in 33c - and it would be impossible to remove it.

He says 33c is crushed limestone and crushed shells, but I can't find it defined anywhere.

Does anyone know what 33c is. And secondly, what, if anything, will grow in it? I really only want to contain the erosion and cover the ugly 33c - it's not in an area that HAS to flower, but it would be nice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here