Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

scarce flowers along with shrubs on hill??

chueh
15 years ago

I have tried sowing wild flower seeds onto the hillside with and without the erosion control blanket, beside adding amendments to the soil (hard clay soil) for one and a half years. Almost everything has always been washed down and away. Although I sowed and resowed seeds every season much more than what's recommended, there have been very little numbers of annuals and perennials scatterly present. I hate to give up, but I guess I have to give up keeping sowing seeds which are not going to grow much.

I am thinking to plant some drought resistant and deep rooted shrubs on the hillside. However, I still have some perennials and annuals present on the hill and the perennials will probably come back in the spring or stay. I really HATE to kill them by covering them. I know that it would look much neater and nicer if I replace all of them with some nice established shrubs. I have never seen any gardens with scattered perennial plants here and there with shrubs around or in between. I imagine that it would look very chaotic, abandoned, or neglected. However, I need someone to tell me boldly that it would either look ok with the perennials scattered around with the shrubs or not ok at all. Please convinced me either way. I cannot decide......Thanks

Comments (6)

• bob64
    15 years ago

I have seen and planted such gardens and they don't bother me a bit. It's a matter of taste but I think it would look just fine. Call it a "naturalistic garden" like many others do already and then it will suddenly look more appealing to you. I also allow volunteer plants in my gardens if they are not invasive or horribly incovient (what's wrong with getting a plant for free?). A lot of garden design has been getting away from neat rows and formality anyway. Mark where your surviving perennials are so you know not to dig in those spots. You can also transplant in some already grown plants to add to those you already have and thus make designs, etc. that are more pleasing to you. A little mulch around your plants will make them look like they are there on purpose. Also, if some of your plants just can't stay exactly where they are then try transplanting them to a more convenient spot when it's not so hot out rather than killing them outright. I wish you the best.

• chueh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you bob64 for everything you said.

• ltecato
    15 years ago

I'm just a beginner in hillside gardening, but I'm wondering if it would be possible for you to build a retaining wall and fill in with better-quality soil behind it. Or dig terraces into your native clay and then put the better soil in the flat parts?

• soitgoes
    15 years ago

We have a planned mix of perennials, shrubs, and deep-rooted ornamental grasses on our hill, and as things are slowly maturing it looks great. We are using mostly drought-tolerant natives. We have clumps of Little Bluestem, Switchgrass, Rudbeckia fulgida, Echniacea pupurea, some phlox subulata for early spring color, serviceberry, one eastern redbud, and a couple grey owl juniper. There are a few other perennials I am thinking of adding for early summer color.

Basically, my rule is that if it needs anything more than once-a-year cutting back and the occasional hose in the middle of a dry spell, then it does not go there. Anything that isn't hardy enough to make it on its own will just not make it.

May I make once suggestion? Seeding a hill is difficult, blankets or not. If you want more hardy perennials mixed in, seed them up in pots and then transplant them when they have established enough root to hold them onto the hill.

Right now my coneflower and black-eyed susans are in full bloom and they look fabulous. Our local garden center has a hill that's about 85% shrubs and small trees with some perennials and grasses mixed in, and it looks great. Leave the perennials you have and go ahead and plant the shrubs around them.

• chueh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All sounds good! Thanks. However, I am trying not to build retaining walls or something constructive due to budget. Very good idea though. I probably would have built a retaining wall if my budget was allowed:-)

• bob64
    15 years ago

I hear ya chueh. Terraces and retaining walls are usually a good idea but they are often expensive if done correctly (unless you have sufficient skills, help and equipment of your own). To slow the flow of the water you can stake in wattles into shallow trenches. You can can probably buy the wattles from whomever sold you the erosion control blankets. I like soitgoes' plant list.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner