Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
erosion control

Posted by luann_2006 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 16, 06 at 20:21

Need some help- I have a west facing steep slope. Retaining wall at the bottom. Riverfront. There is vegetation on the hill but mostly weeds. Was planning on putting down a landscaping barrier for weed control. We were told by some other waterfront owners that a good erosion control method is a product that is basically plastic w/ woven hay. We were going to put this on top of the weed barrier, then plant junipers and organic mulch around the junipers. Not sure about putting both weed barrier and roll? Any thoughts??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: erosion control

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mount Washington (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 2:02

Zone?

o

Keep in mind that a lot of the qualities that make weeds a nuisance make them great for erosion control...plants that send out roots or stems in all directions can be "weedy" but the roots hold down the soil. (In Europe poison ivy has been planted for erosion control) If the slope is too steep the mulch could fall down this hill.

In theory, native grasses and especially American Beach Grass are the best erosion control.

Juniper is a decent choice. I kind of like spreading, suckering plants like Virginia Rose and Beach Plum, however. You can plant fewer, and hey will spread.

o

Ideally, you could put down an erosion control/barrier that would stay in place for a year or so while your plantings take hold and start to spread, but then the barrier would break down. I'm imagining something like large rolls of burlap that could be held down with ground staples with holes cut in spots to plant through. I know there are water permeable weed barriers, but I don't know how long they stay around. I would encourage some spreading vines or ground covers, preferably native, so they would be more likely to thrive with minimal care.

Martha

o

dont worry i have been a same problem, you can use geotextile to retaining soil keep strength

Here is a link that might be useful: geotextile

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here