Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luann_2006

erosion control

luann_2006
17 years ago

Pardon if this is a duplicate, just learning the site.

Need some help. Have a steep hill w/ a retaining wall at bottom. Riverfront/ West facing in CT. Have a hill that has vegetation but mostly weeds and overgrown. Was told that a roll which is basically plastic perferated with hay woven is used for erosion control. My thoughts are to put down a landscaping weed barrier, then the erosion roll, plant junipers and mulch. I am not sure if I should do the weed barrier and the roll stuff but mostly concernd about the plastic product. Any thoughts.

Thanks, Luann2006

Comments (2)

• bob64
    17 years ago

There are many different types of erosion control blankets. Some are entirely made of natural materials and some have various proportions of non-natural materials. Some have a type of plastic in them that eventually degrades with exposure to sunlight. I used a North American Green blanket. There are many brands, etc. Ernst Conservation seeds and other companies sell them by mail order. I picked one up in person from All Pro Horticulure in Long Island to save on shipping costs (call in advance). To prepare my hillside I cut the weeds, used herbicide planted rye grain over the winter and then cut and herbicided the rye grain before it went to seed in the spring and put down native grass seed covered by the blanket.

• madtripper
    17 years ago

What are you trying to accomplish??? Sounds like you already have errosion control with the existing plants/weeds. How steep is the hill?

You might be better off just planting into the weeds, as and the shrubs grow, slowly moving the weeds back from the desired plants.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations