Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hillside terraced garden

Posted by vignewood z6 CT (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 22, 09 at 21:57

Hi, Have any of you created terraced hillside gardens? If so, what did you plant on your terraces? We are building a new home and I told the builder that I love to garden. He created terraces faced with stone for me on a slope beside my driveway. I love the look and I am thrilled. I am thinking of a rock garden with trailing plants cascading over the rocks but I have never done this before. My garden will face northeast. I'd love to hear about your successes and what you planted. Vignewood

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hillside terraced garden

Some cascading plants will be nice, but what is the size of this area? Scale is really important for a nice look. How wide are the terraces? How high is each step? I have seen fairly large hillside gardens where the steps are large boulders and the setback to the next level is four or five feet, so even a small tree or two can look great along with other smaller plants. On the other hand smaller scale can make for a really nice rock garden with small plants, succulents, etc. We've all seen "Hens and Chicks" tucked in between rocks. A photo might help too.

o
RE: Hillside terraced garden

My mountain property is all sloped, so I do a lot of mini terraces edged with native stone, so they are very naturalistic looking (not formal). I have butterfly bushes (Buddleia davidii), nandina, mahonia, and beautyberry(Callicarpa americana) as my shrubs. Althea (Rose of Sharon) can be shrub or small trees.

I have a couple of Don Juan roses, and groundcover - creeping jenny (Lysimachia nummularia), a small sedum genus unknown, vinca, and lamium.

I plug marigolds anywhere they will fit, mostly as a rabbit deterant. I have little hellebores under some of the altheas; not sure if they are going to thrive or not. I put a hosta out there this year for the first time, and it is a little straggly, but it bloomed, so it can't be too miserable.

Oh, and a couple of patches of irises, both bearded and Japaneese, and monarda to attract hummers. I put a couple of pots out with annuals.

I think that is all out there now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hillside Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here