Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanner_gw

Anyone else in a drought?

jeanner
16 years ago

We are in the worst drought that I can remember - we're down at least 12" of rain since May and temps way above normal. Since I have a low output well I can't do alot of watering, needless to say I have lost some plants this year. But I am happy to say that others have pulled through - I wouldn't say they flourished this year but they survived.

Plants that have done well on my hill this year are liatris, purple coneflowers, gray-headed coneflowers, black-eyed susans, coreopsis (unfortunately the native variety did not fare well but I suspect that was from too much sun) but the others did well, queen-of-the-prairie, butterfly weed, variety of sages, stonecrop, asters, ornamental grasses, miniature rambling roses, potentilla, balloon flowers, thyme and shasta daisies. Plants that did not fare so well are the daylilies, butterfly gaura, mums, penstemons, veronica, and agastaches. On the wooded hill areas I did not fare so well, my foxgloves and columbines look really bad and I lost several viburnums. Snakeroot seems to be hanging in there although not nearly as many blooms as usual.

So what worked for you this year?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor