Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronda_in_carolina

My hillside with new stack stone wall--installed by me.

ronda_in_carolina
16 years ago

Before I purchased my home. Note the junipers in the back--this is all hillside.

{{gwi:288671}}

In the beginning there was a hill that blended with the yard. Keeping the Bermuda Grass from running up the hill was becoming a major feat.

{{gwi:288672}}

{{gwi:288673}}

No small job digging back this hill side. It is hard red clay, soap rock and stone.

{{gwi:288674}}

{{gwi:288675}}

I used a garden hose to develop and visualize my curve

{{gwi:254054}}

The first course takes the longest...level level level

{{gwi:288676}}

Onward...oh my back!!!

{{gwi:288677}}

{{gwi:288679}}

{{gwi:288681}}

DONE!!!

{{gwi:220452}}

Now I need to add a few random steps up the hill and fill in all the narrow gaps with slate and shale to complete the job.

This was a tough project but worth it. I absolutely LOVE the finished look. By the way, I never did anything like this before. I went to the library and checked out 12 books on stone and walls and read up before I started. I opted to do a dry stack since I didn't want to deal with mortar. The wall is solid and sturdy as a dry stack because of its short height. It took 2 pallets of stone to complete this run. I did have some left over but only about 1/6 of a pallet. Total poundage of rocks moved from pallet to wall=4033 lbs. If you want to see more images of the stages of the wall you can click the link below.

Ronda

Comments (6)

• lovelycherry
    16 years ago

Really beautiful, you did such a nice job.
    What was the cost of the stone per pallet?
    Feel like coming to Long Island? I could use a dry stacked wall just like yours.
    Cherry

• ronda_in_carolina
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cherry,

The stone varies by weight and type. I saw several pallets that would look nice but since I have MANY pink roses up on the hill, I wanted stone that did not have orange hues in it. This also meant that I had to steer clear of many of the black and black veined stone as these contain iron. The iron stone rusts over time and you end up with quite orange rocks.

The pallet I found was called chocolate something-or-other. I saw no orange stones and the landscaper said that there was very little iron content in these particular pallets. One pallet was 2040lbs and the other was 1995. I think that together with delivery they cost me around 420.00. If you know a contractor you can have him request the stone for you and save up to 15%.

Knee pads and good leather gloves are required as well as stretching before and especially after you work. I was amazed that the stretching I did after I came in actually helped me feel fine the next morning. I worked on it over time and with plenty of rest, water and stretching each day.

I can't say I want to move stone again, but I have always wanted to visit Long Island.

;o)

• jeanner
    16 years ago

Very nice! It really gives it a nice edging and the color really looks great with the roses.

How tall are the walls and how deep was your base? I also started one this summer, it's made from buff split stone - a little more formal than yours but it is in the front of the house and looks nice with our brick. I'm a LONG way from being done - I started with 10 tons, I've got about 3 tons left but will have to order more next year to finish the other third of the wall. I have really enjoyed building my walls but it is alot of hard work.

Next year I would like to do a wall similiar to yours along the path to my woodland garden - at least I will be in the shade then!

Thanks for the pictures, they are very inspiring!

• natalie4b
    16 years ago

Ronda, you are an inspiration!
    I have a hill that is covered by junipers which are dying. I wanted to do something like you did. It looks really good and professionally done. Way to go!

• ronda_in_carolina
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Natalie,

I am happy to tell you about the roses I grow. They do not get pampered and should grow great in your Georgia garden!! They also seem to tolerate terrible hillside conditions.

Country Dancer
    Knock Out
    Blush Noisette
    Climbing Pinkie (just let it sprawl and weep)
    Belinda's Dream
    Julia child
    Carefree Sunshine
    Fellenberg
    Mrs. Dudley Cross

AND MORE!!

See images at my galery below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses upclose and personal

• greengardener07
    16 years ago

Ronda,

Great job on taming that nasty beast!

I can totally relate. I have a nice steep hill in our yard that is next to the street we live on. It rises about 4' in about a 2' span and runs the entire length of the lot, about 100'. Well, the first summer we had the house, I hated mowing the hill, since there were many large rocks and small boulders in one section. Last year, I started planted low growing junipers, blue rug and another species I can't remember right now. So, now I only have half the hill left with grass, and I can weed wack that and then compost it. Eventually, flowers will go in where grass is now (once I take the grass out). As far a erosion control.... I do not know if mulch will be effective.

But you have inspired me to do something nice with that hill. You took a tough spot and made it a work of art. Great job!

Sponsored