Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dhaval_gw

pls help to finish this work

dhaval
14 years ago

hi, This is my first post on this forum as i'm new user.

loaction- atlanta,Ga.

we have hillside in backyard. Previous owner had weed and uneven grass on that which i cleaned out and put lot of mulch on it but last heavy rain fall has washed out everything. Now mulch and mud everywhere in my backyard.I have started putting fence around my house also i have put 45 knockout roses on hill and those growing good everyday.

Now question is:

1)Which is good plants for border inside and around my fence on hill? I was thinking about hydrangeas or any nice looking bushes (like buring bush).

2)Which erosion control plants will be good between those knockout roses. (my idea is lirope evergreen giant)I dont like juniper or those type of ground cover which covers whole space.

3)I tried with cyprass mulch but its float away with water.Is pine straw would be good option?If yes then do i have to but some barrier between ground and pine straw?

I have attached few pictures to get idea of my backyard.

My property border is far behind those trees on hill. Any suggestion would be highly appriciated.

Please help me to get this work done so i dont have to see mud in my yard everytime when its rain.

Thank you,

http://photobucket.com/dhaval_photo

Here is a link that might be useful: hillside backyard

Comments (11)

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

So it looks like you are not going to fence in your whole yard! There will be large area behind the fence that is not fenced. Looks like you are putting up some sort of wood fence. Will it be solid (with boards about 5-6 ft tall next to each other) or will it be a rail fence where there are boards going parallel to the ground & you will be able to see through it? Neighbors white fence is the 1st kind. Reason I ask as it may affect people's choices for what plants would look best next to it. Also will you paint the fence or let it grey naturally? I think I see the roses where you planted them. You need something to keep the soil on the hill. May have to get some plastic tarps or weedcloth & anchor it in place around the roses as a long rain could really wash everything out. I think your area can get some huge storms. Even spread out newspapers held in place by rocks or boards would help.I don't think anything will grow fast enough to fill in & hold dirt this time of yr. Hope others have some better ideas.

• User
    14 years ago

Go down to a local stone yard, a quarry, someplace that sells rocks and tell them to deliver a alot of large and medium rocks to your house. (unless you have a pick up, in which case you are going to making many trips)
    Order alot of them, they aren't expensive.
    Dig them in to that hill.
    Look up how to make a rock garden and terraces for hills online. If you want it to look real nice,
    in any case, dig those rocks in that soil as many of them as you can. If you want to mulch for the roses, you can use pine straw, it won't wash down like regular mulch.
    I had a hill exactly like yours, only mine is sand on the top of clay.
    I used rocks. It's not perfect, but it does work, I have to get more rocks from the stone yard.
    You'll be surprised how many rocks you need, that's a wide hill.
    It'll look real nice though.
    Good Luck!

• dhaval
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you everybody for your kind help..i have done so far fence and pinestraw on hill. I'm planning to make border of ornamental grass inside of fence on hill. what would be your idea and what kind of grass would look nice. I was think about pennisetum alopecuroides(pernial fountain grass).

here is some pics of backyard hill.

http://photobucket.com/dhaval_photo

Here is a link that might be useful: http://photobucket.com/dhaval_photo

• User
    14 years ago

dhaval,
    I liked the look of green trees at the top of the hill before.
    Mabey you have a pet that needs a fence though.
    Try to plant something tall in front of that fence so that it looks more natural and green, not just bamboo colored fence.
    What you want for erosion on a hill is trees, shrubs and plants. Lots of them. The less dirt fon the hill that is exposed, the better off the hill stays.
    If you plant trees and shrubs also, it helps slow down the rain during heavy storms for the other plants, less force of the water hitting the ground.
    Does that make sense?
    You can plant any trees that will grow in GA, sumac and magnolia are both reccommended for erosion control. They have fiberous root systems which is what you want.
    Sumac bushes and trees are beautiful, but they loose their leaves in winter. Magnolias are evergreen.
    Ornamental grasses are excellent for erosion control due to the fiberous root systems also.
    There are so many different kinds of grasses you might want to check out the ornamental grass forum.
    Please post a pic when you are done, it will look really beautiful when everything grows in.
    Oh, by the way, don't forget daylillies!
    They will be out in the big box stores in the spring.
    ANd Iris. They look nice and will be gorgeous on your hill.(they spread too).

• dhaval
    Original Author
    14 years ago

its may be my bad luck.....i wa s almost done on that hill with pinestaw and knock out roses.I was planning to put some trees and more plants in next spring but last sunday we had good amount of rain and all those pine straw and few roses plants washed out with water.(only on right side of hill).

i went on hill to see where water comes from. i saw its coming from woods and it was too fast.

How can i slow down that water or divert little bit in woods.Is sandbags would be good idea behing fence?

Please suggest me some idea at low cost.

thank you

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Nobody is coming on here! Hope you got some sandbags, they would sure help until you get plants more established. You could replant roses & put couple of sandbags near them on side water came from to help hold them in place. Our fire dept has sand & free bags but don't know if yours offers that service or not. I filled up 7 to put across my folks front door area in case we really got 20 in. of rain,we didn't but they are hidden ready for me to use them if need be. So try fire dept 1st & ask them about it.

• dhaval
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you sunnyca....

i will sure use sandbags...i hope those knockout roses will be reach to good hight this coming spring.

thank you

• bob64
    14 years ago

My environmental two cents is to never plant burning bush (or english ivy, or japanese honeysuckle or other invasives -- think what a mess kudzu turned out to be). Sumacs would be good and they tend to send up more trees which will help hold the soil. There are nurseries that have plants and seeds for erosion control. The ones I use might not be good for you as you are much further south than I. To mulch a hill you might want to go with erosion control blankets that you stake into place -- you can put the blankets over seed or cut holes into them to transplant plants. There are also various types of netting that you could place over your mulch to help keep it from washing away. Jute netting is biodegradable so you would not have to rip it up later on. You can buy "live stakes" which are pointy wooden stakes that are alive but dormant that you pound into the soil and they take root. I don't know the best plants for your area but your local native plant society should. I like hollies for what it's worth. There is a hybrid callied Nellie something that is supposed to do well in the south. I also like various kinds of willows and red osier dogwood but check water requirements before purchasing. For beauty you can't go wrong with magnolias.

• trivedi_south
    13 years ago

Dhaval,
    How is the hill doing?

I have hill in the backyard leading to a lake and lot of soil erosion problem at present.

Thx

• jcalhoun
    13 years ago

Silt fences and sand bags can do a lot to control erosion while the plants are getting established.

• ogremom
    13 years ago

Can you divert the water that is coming from up hill? Maybe a modified dry creek bed with scrap rock.

I agree with the comments about bringing in rock. I like it scattered on the hillside, and maybe to increase the size of the border at the bottom of the hill.

Butterfly bushes would be good on that hill if it gets enough sun. They grow quickly. I'd second the day lilies for hills also.

Check out the forum on gardening with rock. Some of them do amazing work!

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH