Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovelycherry

My Hillside...

lovelycherry
17 years ago

I have been slowly evaluating my slope/hillside. The back of my house has a yard then it drops down toward the Railroad track. Beyond that is a large well cared for cemetry. The top of the train is visible from the back of the house. It is a local commuter train and moves slowly through the yard.

When they built the Railroad they cut it through a sandy hill.

That is my hillside a sandy slope.. that you slide down on if your feet are not placed properly. The previous owners ignored it by placing evergree trees at the top edge of the slope, then allowing the hill beyond to become overrun with weeds. Tree of heaven, wild grape vine and a few hawthorne trees have been living on the hill. The grape vine was in the canopy of the trees shading the ground so nothing was really growing at the soil level, creating more erosion.

I have been slowly exposing the hill to see its shape and what needs to be done. I hopefully killed the tree of heaven and pulled the grape vines off the hawthorne trees.

At first was in a panic that it would erode away with the next heavy down pour. I have since calmed down.

I have done alot of reading about erosion, soil, plants and mulch.

I am happy to find that others have gone before me in solving many of the problems I am facing. I mulched it as best I could with leaves, left over mums from the curb and pumpkins. But the hill is a bottomless pit (my husband kids me that anything I put at the top will fall to the base.. like it is pulled by a mysterious magnet)

My husband and I are in the process of buying a truck. The mini van just can't haul the stuff I need for my hill.

What the hill really needs is soil.

Any one have a inexpensive solution to getting soil?

Comments (6)

Sponsored