Return to the Homesteading Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY Green Sedum Roof

Posted by ginger_nh z4 NH (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 27, 05 at 9:04

Anyone have experience in installing a green sedum roof on a small, already built and shingled structure like a garage, tool shed, playhouse, studio?

I have looked into the sedum mat idea and decided it would be too unwieldly (although quick and easy if I could get hold of the pre-planted matting). Green roof companies use cranes to install the matting.

I would like to experiment with this on my small garden tool shed. Need DIY instructions--I have spent a lot of time searching the web, but no results. Plenty of photos and mentions of this being tried by homeowners, but no actual information, sources of material, directions, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ginger

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY Green Sedum Roof

I found a site that sells the mats in the UK www.greenroof.co.uk that carries "Nature Mat", and I suppose this is what you are talking about. I would imagine you could make your own mats.

The various sites I have seen describe putting a frame around the roof to hold the soil. You need to waterproof the roof before adding the soil, or eventually your green roof will become your green floor! There are several different layers in the soil to allow drainage so your roof doesn't end up a big mud pie, also. I can't remember which magazine I saw an article in - Countryside, Backwoods Home,
Back Home, or Mother Earth News. You might try going to those sites and searching. Also try some straw bale sites. If you do any other searching, try "living roof", or "eco-roof" in addition to green roof.

If you can get your shed VERY sturdy and get the layers in place, I would imagine itwouldn't be too hard to grow your own mats. You could use something like muslin I guess. I would spread it on loose soil, top it with loose soil, and plant sedum seeds on top. When the roots come through, you can then move it to the roof. I would think, however, it would be easier just to plant the roof.

Last year I purchased packets of mixed ground cover sedum from Park's. There were 1000 seeds in each packet and I think they cost about $2.00.

If you do decide to do it, please let us know how it goes! I've wanted to do something similar, but I don't have a roof to use!

Kay

o
RE: DIY Green Sedum Roof

Kay-
Thank you for your ideas. I have not checked the magazines you mention. Good idea. I have checked out straw bale and green roof sites galore.

What sort of luck have you had with sedum germination? I was going to use plugs. I have always vegetatively propagated my sedums. Is it easy using seed?

Ginger

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Homesteading Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here